Unreal prices

Watching a YouTube video about receiver wars of 1970 piqued my interest so I checked eBay.

Pioneer SX-1950 going for $5000 plus.

My lowly SX-1050 going for $1700.

Those prices, with deflation to the 70s, are list prices back then. Ā Kept their value. šŸ˜€
128x128ibmjunkman
Open your eyes, this is perfectly normal. Yet for some reason everywhere I go its always the same. The people who should know the most turn out to be the most oblivious. So let me explain it to you.
Its not that the receivers or whatever are so great. Its simply that they have endured. Whatever lasts and is kept in good condition, it hardly
matters what it is, its value will increase over time.
So well put!!! I still have a few pieces of audio equipment that areĀ 
working as good as the day I bought them, without ever having to have them so much as serviced.Ā  Craftsmanship shows not only in detail but as you state, in the ability to endure the test of time.
Only the top dogs have exorbitant prices. I have a few vintage pieces, such as a Pioneer SA-8800 and SX-3800. I bought mine either mint or refurb and I did it strictly as eye candy, although they sound the same as today's amps. Compared to today's bland black faceless offerings, the 70's silver-faced pieces are pure art.
As much as some of these prices are so crazy you can buy the top of line Italian sport cars . There also excellent deals on quality units . Rega, Audio Hungary, and Fyne speakers . I have these products my system sounds very real with very low distortion . All under 5 Grand full system . Word of the " wise "Ā  stay away from the Chinese units they will all fail 1 week after the warranty is up all I get is " Sorry CharlieĀ  " . Except the lower end Fyne speaker line in which its assembled in China but with first class quality at a low price . Check it out for yourself . I think I nailed it and not for 120 thousand bucks . Where is my rebate check ?
All I can say is I bought a Sony Str 7065 ,70 wpc for $350 from Crazy Eddie's in Bklyn NY in 1973.This was Sonys top of the line Receiver.Its now 2020 and it still works ,nothing has ever been done to it. Sony equipment was made to last .

Old design that were good and at the roof of Audio world many decades ago are always very good even now...My Sansui Au 7700 beat the crap of many more modern amplifiers....But never mind your amplifier....

Why?

Because the secret of Hi-Fi is way less in the hands of the electronical engineers than in the hand of the acoustician....

Speakers drivers-room and ears brain are ONE.... The amplifier and the DAC are externally linked to this One system...Music flows with the sound waves...The electrical signal is a signal not a sound....

Most people has never listened to the true potential of their own audio system, vintage or not, because the acoustical field of their room is not up to the job.... It takes me many years of home experiments to know that first hand.... My best....