Storing DSD/PCM files and playing through a DAC

Folks,
Over the past few weeks, I have ripped my 140+ SACDs to .dsf files, using a Sony blu-ray player. I want to know a couple of things that you all prefer/have experience and would recommend:

1. Type of drive (HDD, SSD, NVMe, etc) to store the files for playback via DAC

2. If the player/DAC has a USB 3.0, would you connect the drive directly to the player/DAC, OR use a laptop and connect the laptop out to the DAC's USB input?

Currently I am using a Oppo UDP-205 as my player/DAC. But at some later point, I would like to rip my CDs also as digital files and play the files via a dedicated DAC. What software can I use, to keep the laptop near the DAC and control it via a app on the phone/tablet? Currently using foobar2000 to experience the playback of  .dsf files on the computer. Not yet attempted to connect the laptop to the DAC via USB. Also have got a few DSD albums that I have ripped, transferred to a flash drive and connected the drive to USB3.0 of the Oppo. Any advise?
128x128milpai
The type of drive will depend largely on the size of your library, but in general, any drive will be fast enough, but SSD has faster access times and no moving parts so they emit no mechanical noise.

USB 2.0 will be fast enough.

If you want to put your music on a thumb drive and put it on the back of your Oppo go ahead.
Personally I use Roon and it plays DSD /DSF files just fine, either directly or by converting to PCM when needed.
HDDs are the 'value' choice with an emphasis upon Pro / Server Class 
drives.
A network based solution (NAS / Server) would allow for Large Capacity
independent source for all your Audio and Personal Back Up needs.
A small Home Server ($300-$500 plus HDDs) on a Home Network
centralizes your files and does not limit access to any one PC / Mac.
A dedicated Renderer / Transport could be used rather than a PC.
Apps like Plex, Bubble UPnP can be used to control playback.

@erik_squires,That was my thought about SSD and NVMe. Silent, but slightly pricey, which in the long run is fine.How do you like the Roon's sound quality? Based on your suggestion I did look at Roon and found that this might be something I would be interested. In fact the Oppo UDP-205 is Roon enabled. Does it mean that if I connect a SSD to the Oppo, I will be able to control it through the Roon app directly?