Who's Gone Topless?

The idea of this goes back decades. Amps and preamps (for the most part) are designed on chassis free breadboards, then voiced, THEN are packaged inside a chassis, which can be the weakest link to hearing what the designer intended. In most cases the chassis sidewalls and bottom are essential, but the top?

First off, beware that doing so will likely affect your mfg warranty, but, if you live in a pet-free, child-free home, then the benefits can more than offset concerns about something getting in that could harm the components. Case in point my Ric Schultz Class D EVS 1200, dual mono IcePower 120as2 modules. HOWEVER, unlike others using the same or similar modules, Ric then sprinkles many decades of modifying pixie dust all around them which are mounted inside an understated (sans bling) Italian sourced chassis.

When I ordered mine it was mandatory to purchase 2 Cubes ($200) which are to be butted up against each board, requiring the owner to remove the top. After doing so, I was anxious to put it in my rack so I could properly isolate it from bad vibes, when I should have listened with and without the Cubes and top.

Ric is also a proponent of weighing down components, but due to the unnecessarily large chassis, it barely fit in my rack, but I had a 5 pound divers belt lead weight that I squeezed in. Now, because RIc chose to put the mute toggles on the back I placed the amp on the first shelf from the rack's top (but out of sight out of mind: I never mute it when done listening), upon which was my CD player/Transport, which I raised up to provide ~ 2" of air space above the top of the 1200 and the bottom shelf of the player. Even though the rack is open on all sides with plenty of air space all around the rack, the amp ran warm

Fast Forward to yesterday. I was listening to Leonard Cohen Essential songs, mostly instrumentally sparse. I removed the weight; and found the music much more open sounding. Encouraged, I FINALLY removed the top. Honestly, I was not prepared for how HUGE doing so could be. It was like the music went from a confined space to an open air 3 dimensional venue. This is so amazing that I am going to get a handle on it via different music before removing the Cubes. Oh, and the amp is now cool as can be. 

So, if interested, stay tuned
tweak1
And speaking of speakers almost all (rpt all) speakers have way too much stuffing inside. It’s like monkey see monkey do 🐒 with these guys. They sound better without any stuffing. But if that little voice in your head says you must use something, use a grapefruit size ball of pure lamb’s wool, hollow fiber.
Post removed 
@geoffkait, No, wrong again.  Speaker dependent.  My Focus speakers were rewired by the prior owner.  For a couple years, I cringed when I heard a blast of horns.  Too bright sounding.  About 20 years ago, my friend had me remove the drivers.  There was only a handful of damping filler inside the four midrange drivers.  We took an entire dacron/polyester pillow and (he is an electronics maven and made speakers) adjusted the amound, folding and placement of the pillows worth into the four chambers, careful in giving space around the drivers.  Voila!  No more cringing horns, bright sounding speakers.  They were cured.  So, no, filling the chambers with the CORRECT amount of damping filler is correct, not just a 100% superior with no "stuffing., or just a handful."   Maybe for some speakers designed that way but not for most.  
Uh, that’s what I said. Hel-loo! I promise I’ll let you win one sometime. 🤗
I took all the natural lambs wool out of our speakers and cut and glued in the non wood be corners, hard pink and yellow fiberglass blocks used in hvac. This speaker has no 90 degree corners either outside or inside.  Tom