Yet another Integrated vs Separates advice post

Hey Audiogon! Help me spend my money.

I've recently upgraded my speakers and analog rig and it now has me wondering if I could be getting more out of my amplification section. I've had a trusty Hegel H200 integrated amp for about 6 years and it's to its testament that until now I haven't thought about upgrading it. But the upgraditis is getting to me, especially after my analog section has taken me into a different tier on the source side.

My questions:

If my goal is to move into the "reference" quality tier (and by that I guess I mean, at least providing a sniff of the creme de la creme; Stereophile Class A-quality for lack of a better way to put it), should I take this opportunity to move back into separates? 

Second question: if my budget is around $7k, what should I consider that would be a significant upgrade over the giant-killing Hegel? Some components I'm considering:

For separates, PS Audio BHK preamp + PS Audio Stellar Monoblocks (though I'm hesitant about class D amps)
For integrated, Aesthetix Mimas, or a Luxman integrated
Someone in the running: integrateds from Krell, Mark Levinson, and Ayre

My requirements: my rack limits me to standard-sized 17"-wide components. I need at least 2 balanced inputs unless there's a built-in DAC. I mainly seek a "warm" tonality with rich midrange, and greatly value components that image exceptionally well.

My system: Hegel H200, Doge 7 DAC, Avid Volvere turntable, PS Audio Stellar phono preamp, Egglestonworks Emma speaker
hudsonhawk
The Denon pma sx-11 from Japan 
        Best of both worlds
                Best kept secret
A fun thought to work through!

For reference, I’ve been part of this hobby for 30 or more years. My first system was a pair of Adcom separates (I forgot which model’s), a Rega P3 turntable (forgot which cartridge) and Vandersteen 1b speakers. I remember driving through a snowstorm in North NJ to get to John Rutan’s store, Audioconnection to pick up the Vandys; my wife (at the time) thought I was nuts.

I’ve been through easily 40 or 50 different separates, integrateds, turntables, cables (lots of them) over the years. Too much stuff to list. I went pretty high in the food chain with an EAR 868 line state pre, a high end tube phono stage (an EAR I believe) a CJ Premier 140A monster tube amp. High end CD player (was Sony’s highest end). At that time my main speakers were a reconditioned pair of ESL 63’s with appropriate subwoofer.

Always had glorious sound!

Today my system is a pair of Harbeth 30’1’s powered by a Luxman L-507uxii, VPI Scount/Dynavector 20xl2, with Qobuz streaming through an MHDT Orchid DAC. I miss nothing. Nada. Thrilled to be rid of CD’s.

My point is that a GOOD integrated will give you all the sound you need. If you can afford a Luxman L-509x buy it and don’t look back. And if that’s a bit much take a serious look at the L 507uxii. Sounds great (nice MC phono stage) and is built with the precision of a swiss watch. 

Have a blast working through the process!
I have my equipment stand placed where its most convenient. That's not between the speakers.

I've found that keeping speaker cables short is helpful for increasing resolution and bass impact. So I run mono power amps as close to the loudspeakers as I can get them so I can keep the speaker cables short. This means running a long interconnect cable, but since my balanced tube preamp supports the balanced line standard (and is one of the few to do so), I can run the interconnects as long as I need; in my case about 30 feet. But they are not expensive yet sound great, owing to the fact that the equipment supports the balanced standard, which helps minimize the audible effects of the interconnect.

If you get the chance to hear what balanced line can do in the home when properly set up, there's no going back. This is how most LPs and CDs were recorded; balanced line is what ushered in the era of HiFi.
Flexibility of separates does not mean better sound in any possible way. Just adds more complexity to an already complex hifi situation. A preamp has to be paired very well with a power amp and that can't be done better than in a quality integrated.
I used to have separates, solid states, tubes. I will never go back to that setup.