Looking to upgrade DAC from SA8005

I'm currently using the SA8005 as a redbook player and DAC for the Aries Mini, being fed into a stock RLD-1 and a recent Ultra Platinum upgraded DNA-1.

I want to explore options of a DAC and preamp and looking to stay under the $1500 mark if poss.

My search has included is a PSA Stellar Gain Cell to also be used as a preamp.

Bryston BDP-2
Benchmark DAC-2 (also as preamp)
Yggdrasil (possible depending on price)

I do like the option to keep the HT bypass and remote function.

I feel the hard part is finding one that maintains clarity in the transients of the higher frequencies and not become analytical.

The 8005 does a good job of providing depth, focus, imaging and retaining a very life-like stage presentation but midrange clarity and the upper registry transients need a bit of refinement..seems slightly rolled off and may not be the fault of the 8005, could very well be the 21 YO stock preamp.

I would like to try a Directstream sometime but for now this is the pricepoint I'm at. Another reason is at the price of the DSD there are other options.

Thanks, all input and criticism welcomed

dyl71
Your looking for clarity in the transients...  Have you heard any Chord DACs?  Qutest (slightly above your price point) or better...
I haven't heard any Chord's, except for good things about them, so I cannot comment.

I agree my preamp should be also a primary focus and it does come down to synergy.

I suppose at a more ideal budget, I keep coming down to the DAC-2 and the Stellar Gain Cell, both could also work as a pre.

I think if I was going to step up further I would like to also consider the NuPrime EVO / CDP-8,9, or10.

The Bryston BDP-2 isn’t a DAC, but a streamer.
Parasound makes a Pre amp/DAC combo in your price range, but I haven’t heard the DAC
I like Marantz stuff always have; I have the 8004 and it’s very musical, not the last word in extension but it is a heck of a value for the age;

I can’t recommend these two highly enough at your price point:
Chord Qutest and Schitt Saga+; Highly unlikely you will find any DAC/ Linestage that meets, much less exceeds this combo.
Welcome to high end level transparency, neutrality, dynamics, frequency extension, and refinement/ purity for your $$$ goal.

snip < ’not become analytical’ > endsnip

I’d take Benchmark out of your search.
McCormack DNA1 ++ awesome amp; congrats!

Look into the MHDT line....for example. the Orchid. With a few simple mods and a bit of tube rolling. you'll have an excellent DAC