Unreal prices

Watching a YouTube video about receiver wars of 1970 piqued my interest so I checked eBay.

Pioneer SX-1950 going for $5000 plus.

My lowly SX-1050 going for $1700.

Those prices, with deflation to the 70s, are list prices back then.  Kept their value. 😀
128x128ibmjunkman
I had a lot of fun doing it, and learned some things. I assumed you had a bit of knowledge on the subject when you mentioned the 'current limiting device'. You have a great receiver, but I'm biased towards the x50 series.
All the best.
Sx1980 tons o problems. Frying the boards due to improper engineering. The 1250 is a much better receiver and the very best one pioneer ever made. I’d still take a sansui g9000, 22000 or the mother of all receivers the 33000 over any of them. The old receivers are really cool and nostalgic but have a very bloated sound compared to today’s equipment imo. High Wpc doesn’t equal better sound. 
If those items are in good condition and good working order they have a lot of features built in that would be costly to replicate today if desired. Also they have lots of lights, look cool, and are collectors items. Unique items. Probably capable of sounding better than ever today with other modern gear on the system.  $5000 for a Pioneer receiver is pretty steep though still. 
Eve even back in the 70s, there were MANY better performing amps/receivers than the Pioneers. 

Its the uneducated that are driving up the prices on those units! But have at it! As long as they continue to OVER VALUE those Japanese units, they’ll UNDERVALUE  the real performers of the time!

The blissful ignorance of those buyers has been a godsend for me! Stay ignorant! 

Fortunately, there will always be those who chase glitz or join the chase for whatever everyone else is chasing! Technics, Marantz, Sansui, have at it!!

"Its the uneducated that are driving up the prices on those units!"
Why uneducated? People want what they like.

It is not ignorance. It is a blissful ability to buy what one wants.