To horn or not to horn

I have never owned a horn speaker. I’m curious if there are any who are first time horn speaker owners after having owned other types of speakers for many years, and are you glad you switched?
needlebrush
Yes, johnk would certainly be knowledgeable!!              I have an original pair put away for years. I've been looking for a larger place to move to for some time. Hopefully soon!
... I have an original pair put away for years. I've been looking for a larger place to move to for some time. Hopefully soon!

I'd assume just having a pair of those stored away would require a larger place :) They're big for sure, but do they necessarily need longer listening distances to sum the presentation at one's ears? 
I've heard these referred to as "long throw" so you're correct as these were also used on stages, etc. YouTube video (search jbl 4550) shows these in a home environment. Plus some crazy-Asians (used VERY respectfully:) have no problem in small dwellings. I did use these for a small period (years ago) with a 50 watt SS amp, which is what I had at the time. I have 300B & 45 SET amps, (which I used with Beauhorns) and just recently purchased a Marchand 2-way active crossover to utilize in near future with JBLs.
Try out / audition a few manufacturers if you can. Best way to discover what you like. I've got Cornwall IV's sitting on plinths I made custom out of cherry (matches the cabinet finish) that use large rubber and cork isolating pads as feet. To me, they sound absolutely beautiful playing Classical, Jazz, Rock, ambient, electronica, dubstep (known for insanely bass heavy sound).. I'd put them up against most anything and they'd hold their own.

With quality gear, everything will sound good but different. Like great gourmet food, it's all about the flavors not what's "best".
" Throw ". Some listeners do not get it, unfortunately. Most of the larger horn speakers ( google Klipsch Pro; a grand scale example : Klipsch KPT-CINEMA GRANDEUR ), would require an extremely large room, and ime, for sure, a great distance, between them, and the listener. A few folks I know of ( many here on the Gon ) would have no problem, listening to them, from 8 - 12 ft away. As much as I would happily own a pair, along with the associated gear to run them, they would not work in my current room, a room, that my Lascalas, work, very well. Lascalas, can fill a stage, albeit, on a smaller scale. YMMV