Yet another Integrated vs Separates advice post

Hey Audiogon! Help me spend my money.

I've recently upgraded my speakers and analog rig and it now has me wondering if I could be getting more out of my amplification section. I've had a trusty Hegel H200 integrated amp for about 6 years and it's to its testament that until now I haven't thought about upgrading it. But the upgraditis is getting to me, especially after my analog section has taken me into a different tier on the source side.

My questions:

If my goal is to move into the "reference" quality tier (and by that I guess I mean, at least providing a sniff of the creme de la creme; Stereophile Class A-quality for lack of a better way to put it), should I take this opportunity to move back into separates? 

Second question: if my budget is around $7k, what should I consider that would be a significant upgrade over the giant-killing Hegel? Some components I'm considering:

For separates, PS Audio BHK preamp + PS Audio Stellar Monoblocks (though I'm hesitant about class D amps)
For integrated, Aesthetix Mimas, or a Luxman integrated
Someone in the running: integrateds from Krell, Mark Levinson, and Ayre

My requirements: my rack limits me to standard-sized 17"-wide components. I need at least 2 balanced inputs unless there's a built-in DAC. I mainly seek a "warm" tonality with rich midrange, and greatly value components that image exceptionally well.

My system: Hegel H200, Doge 7 DAC, Avid Volvere turntable, PS Audio Stellar phono preamp, Egglestonworks Emma speaker
hudsonhawk
You could connect a preamp to the H200s amp section, if you wanted to slow your wade in to the waters of separates. I did that as an experiment with a Lamm L1 and an H160. The L1 has only single-ended inputs, and I am not suggesting it particularly anyways. It was, though, a big difference in terms of tonal color. The amp section of the H160 is pretty damn good. 

At shows e....works is usually paired with Rogers. May be that is a thing? Other owners should know.
Does your current set up lack warmth or a rich midrange? What cartridge is in use? It appears to me you need tubes somewhere in the audio chain. The Aesthetix Mimas is very well received I have not heard it. Or if you can get by with 30 watts of class A consider a used Pass Labs XA-30.8 amp with a XP-10 preamp. Both Pass and Aesthetix have top level support and solid resale.
There’s no question that a quality integrated is a better value, particularly at the ~$10K price point. I have an integrated in a 2nd system and it’s an easy solution with good sound. But I have to say, an integrated as a main system is a commitment, and if you lose flexibility to swap out the pre section more easily down the road for instance. It’s all about knowing yourself and your priorities.

As you get beyond the $10K level the performance of separates starts creating some "separation" from integrateds in my view. Having an amp and preamp share a common power supply or even the same box (and power cord) starts creating a loss of fidelity compared to what separates can deliver. EMI/noise has to be dealt with in the box, isolation is difficult etc. Add quality interconnects and most of the better separates will sound better than the better integrateds.

To me it boils down to your price point, being ok/not ok with having limited flexibility, and having physical space. If you want the best possible solution for a $10K budget and you don’t mind the inflexibility you’re not going to do better than a quality integrated. As you move higher price there is no question that you will get better fidelity with separates - it’s all about priorities.
@hudsonhawk in my experience you need to hear these things for yourself to make a decision that leads to long-term happiness. You mentioned you'd love to hear a Luxman - I'm happy to send you a L509X to audition and, instead of wondering, you'll know.

- Colin

Luxman dealer
https://gestalt.audio