Yet another Integrated vs Separates advice post

Hey Audiogon! Help me spend my money.

I've recently upgraded my speakers and analog rig and it now has me wondering if I could be getting more out of my amplification section. I've had a trusty Hegel H200 integrated amp for about 6 years and it's to its testament that until now I haven't thought about upgrading it. But the upgraditis is getting to me, especially after my analog section has taken me into a different tier on the source side.

My questions:

If my goal is to move into the "reference" quality tier (and by that I guess I mean, at least providing a sniff of the creme de la creme; Stereophile Class A-quality for lack of a better way to put it), should I take this opportunity to move back into separates? 

Second question: if my budget is around $7k, what should I consider that would be a significant upgrade over the giant-killing Hegel? Some components I'm considering:

For separates, PS Audio BHK preamp + PS Audio Stellar Monoblocks (though I'm hesitant about class D amps)
For integrated, Aesthetix Mimas, or a Luxman integrated
Someone in the running: integrateds from Krell, Mark Levinson, and Ayre

My requirements: my rack limits me to standard-sized 17"-wide components. I need at least 2 balanced inputs unless there's a built-in DAC. I mainly seek a "warm" tonality with rich midrange, and greatly value components that image exceptionally well.

My system: Hegel H200, Doge 7 DAC, Avid Volvere turntable, PS Audio Stellar phono preamp, Egglestonworks Emma speaker
hudsonhawk
if you can stretch to 9k so you could pick up a used or demo ML 585.5 which has a very good phono section and hi rez dac. I expect the Luxman 509x is very good as well. I’ve given up separates for top drawer integrated amps without feeling any remorse and I’ve had some very good gear. if you don’t need a phono section a used ML 585 will stun you. their latest models are not dark and grayish sounding as the older models. they apparently have a super design team. fwiw
@4425 The ML 585 is one of the only pieces I’m considering that I’ve had the good fortune to audition. It is indeed an incredibly impressive piece of gear, absolute control of the sound and checks my imaging box, though it was more on the neutral side at least paired with the Revel speakers at the Harman showroom here in NYC. Gorgeous to boot. I am extremely satisfied with the Stellar Phono so I actually don’t want or need onboard phono. 

@millercarbon Ha, point well-heard. I wish I could go back to an all-tube integrated but my stereo does double-duty on my TV and it seems like a waste of tube hours to sit around marathoning Schiit’s Creek on Netflix. I am open to a hybrid tube amp like the Aesthetix.
@erik_squires wish I could hear a Luxman, they’re certainly impressively well-reviewed an beautiful. I don’t really need the phono stage or tone controls but they don’t seem to stop people from raving about them.
hudsonhawk O
Yet another Integrated vs Separates advice

Separates always better, as you can choose/change your active preamp coloration flavor.
Or at least an integrated that can by-pass the preamp with power amp inputs.

Preamps:
Active Tube.
Active Solid State
Or Passive
(You can get all three with a Schiit Freya+) https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-1

Or even "Direct" from source into the amp which is my no.1 if all other components don’t need any of the coloration’s from an "active preamps"

(though I’m hesitant about class D amps)
As are the majority, for hiend .

Cheers George

I'll  toss in something to save you some money. Anthem STR Integrated has internal DAC, 1 set balanced inputs, MM MC phono with adjustable rumble filter and phono EQ, ARC.