Class D is just Dandy!

I thought it was time we had a pro- Class D thread. There's plenty of threads about comparisons, or detractors of Class D.

That's fine, you don't have to like Class D amps, and if you don't please go participate on one of those threads.

For those of us who are very happy and excited about having musical, capable amps that we can afford to keep on 24/7 and don't require large spaces to put them in, this thread is for you.

Please share your experiences with class D amps!
erik_squires
So, I’ve been pondering and studying class D, from the layman’s perspective (I’m no electrical engineer, can’t solder, can barely find the transformer), for several weeks. I’ve particularly reviewed Wyred4Sound, D-Sonic, Class D Audio, Apollon, Nord, VTV, Emerald Physics and others. I was excited about purifi and discovered a very good deal on the VTV website, but then when I called out for reports on VTV, as little can be found online, I was immediately met with a critical review, claiming that VTV did sloppy work on the purifi amp this person ordered. I came away concerned that I might have to ready myself for repairs, on a new amp, which this other gon’ers amp required.

So, here’s the deal... I have a new pair of Tekton Moabs, which at 98db are efficient. I’m using a Schiit Saga (tube+passive), as well as a Modi 3. I also run a Nuforce STA200, which is delightful for most listening. Unfortunately, it does not pound out the lowest notes when needed, and when I push it into 90db and up, it quickly heats up to a point where it’s obvious the amp is struggling. I want a cool running, efficient amp. I’m sure tubes would sound great on the Moabs, but we hit 93 today, and 105 (and higher) is just around the corner.

...and so, to conclude: Do you have a recommendation for a class D amp that would match well with the Moabs?

Thanks, for your considerations...
Post removed 

Hello listening99, what power rating would be ideal for your speakers? ... And what is your budget for an amp?

Regards, Guido

listening99

I heard the PS Audio Stellar S300 amplifier driving some Harbeth 30.1 speakers and was very pleasantly surprised!  I see PS Audio is now introducing their M1200 class D monoblocks, with tube inputs.  I suspect they'll sound awesome!
Hello listening99,

I’m not quite sure who you’re directing your question to.  If it’s me, I don’t think I’m the best individual to answer your question.       My experience with class D amps has mainly been searching for ones that best drive my former Magnepan 2,7QR and current Magnepan 3.7i main speakers, which are both only about 86db@ 1 watt and much less efficient than your 98db@ 1 watt Tekton Moabs.     The best amp I’ve ever used on my speakers are a pair of D-Sonic M3-600-M class D mono-block amps.  But these amps output 1,200 watts into my 4 ohm speakers, which seems excessive to me for your 4 ohm speakers.     Unfortunately, I have no experience utilizing high efficiency speakers since I was 18, 44 years ago. Therefore, I have very little useful knowledge to share with you except I believe you don’t need to exclude any amps or amp types from your search. Hopefully, you’ll receive some other lower power suggestions from other readers of this thread,  
Tim