Why no interest in reel to reel if you're looking for the ultimate sound?

Wondering why more people aren't into reel to reel if they're looking for the ultimate analog experience? I know title selection is limited and tapes are really expensive, but there are more good tapes available now than ever before.
People refer to a recording as having "master tape quality",  well you can actually hear that master tape sound through your own system and the point of entry to reel to reel is so much more affordable than getting into vinyl.  Thoughts? 
scar972
I love on vinyl occasionally hearing the short, faint, ghost section of a tune right before the real section starts playing, caused by the tightly wound master tape imprinting itself onto the next layer. 
I have a Mcintosh mx100z preamp. It has a tape head input. I assume this could be used. But I’m confused as what it was meant for in its day. Were people going direct out of their decks back in the 60’s. And did they have direct output option back then?
@sdrsdrsdr 
Apparently they did have direct output option back then, according to deHavilland Audio's website:
" Some machines such as the TEAC 7030 and 6010 have direct play head outputs"
http://www.dehavillandhifi.com/222_Tape_Preamp.htm
@sdrsdrsdr 

Every vintage preamp I ever used had tape input RCA pairs. These RCA pairs were not connected to an internal a head amp, but were line level inputs. The purpose of labelling these line level RCA pairs seems to have been to correspond to the notations on the selector.

A head amp has a similar function to the phono section, (that is, it has to amplify and shape a tiny signal). As such, it is a highly specialized piece, but one which was never close to as common as phono.  That is why it was usually part of the tape deck.
@terry9 

I have read that this is a tape pre head amp input  and not just a labelled line input. It is also labeled tape head and not tape input. It is also positioned along with the mm input. I think the Marantz 7 preamp might have this too. Watch the “PNWAS  tape meeting with Ki Choi” on YouTube. He talks of this. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TY6V5AahDU0

This guy probably knows as much as anyone about reel to reel.