Heresy IVs

Well I just put 7 hrs on the new IVs and compared to my IIIs right off the bat they seem less efficient. I had to turn up my preamp 3 clicks up to get same volume from same song. There will be more bass after woofer loosens up. Possibly a bit more details mids and highs. As someone says could be a bit more refined. Soundstage maybe a bit deeper with better layer separation but not wider. The overall character I feel is a bit leaner and dynamically constipated. Not as fun as the IIIs. When I got the IIIs I was enjoying the music right from the get go. With the IVs I’m analyzing the music more. I personally think they never should have ported speaker. But the changes in the mid driver and treble phase plug seems to be an improvement. Overall it's a lateral move doesn't kill the IIIs in my opinion.
kw6
I believe what you are hearing is the difference between the ported H IV vs the unported H III. Ported speakers have deeper but often looser bass extension than ported designs. The original Heresy's were unported for a reason.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I will let the woofer loosen up a bit and compare again. For sure there will be more bass but I feel the magic is lost.
Do you have the Heresy IVs placed exactly where you had the Heresy IIIs?  Believe it or not, that variable "could" explain things a bit.

"I believe what you are hearing is the difference between the ported H IV vs the unported H III. Ported speakers have deeper but often looser bass extension than ported designs."   
Could be that also.

Bill
Yes exactly! But I did put IVs on top of a Pyle foam riser platform to prepare for the added bass. I live in top floor condo. After break in I can will put the IIIs back to same spot. I will let the IVs loosen up a bit like 50hrs.
I would speculate that since the 4s go deeper in the bass than 3s then amps may run out of gas sooner and they may not be as good in some ways as 3s with lower powered amps. Low powered tube amps might soft clip sooner. It’s basic physics that you will need significant more power to do deeper bass than before assuming all else stays the same.

My only listen to 4s so far was at a dealer off a fairly hefty Anthem SS amp and the sound was very good in all aspects with that amp.

Were it me I would not go in assuming they would necessarily sound better with all amps but rather they can sound better with the right amp to drive them.