B&W 801M vs. 801 Series 2, etc

Hello,

I found a pair of B&W 801M at a decent price but am confused by the model.  I currently own the B&W 802 series II and am familiar with their Matrix lineup. 

According to B&W's archive model sight and my general knowledge, I know there is the 801 series 80 (non-Matrix), 801 series 2, and 801 series 3, both Matrix.  I'm guessing the 801M must be essential 801 series 1?  There really doesn't seem to be any info out there about this model and it is the only Matrix model not listed on their archive site.

Does anyone have any info, specs, comparison to Series 2?

thanks,
dastro
Before Series 2 came out there were the series 80 models and a few other letters like the 801F and 801M.
confusing :^(

If the "801m" has a front port, and is bi-wire capable - I am willing to bet it’s the same as a Series 2 and this is a B&W marketing thing.
But - if either of those two characteristics are missing - and it has matrix construction inside - then indeed it is unique.
can anyone advice how much to pay for  B&W 801 Series 2 in good condition- Private buy. Thanks for any reply!
I just came across this thread and wanted to set out the models numbers for folks. There was a dealer’s newsletter once available on the internet to read, with all editions from the early 80s until 90s setting out the model changes and which they sold etc . Called "Audio Basics". It’s probably out there somewhere still. It's interesting to read as it criticises some of the models, some of the 802s for example, I think due to crossover design.

To sum up from reading those years ago:

Series 80 801 - the first model. Wooden midrange housing.
Series 80 801F - upgraded with a "fibrecrete" midrange housing (some fibreglass and concrete mix)
Series 80 801FS - upgraded tweeter. S="special"

You could upgrade your Series 80 801 and 802 to F or S or FS status (and it won’t say on the back).

Then came the Matrix models with new bass enclosures: Matrix bracing and ported.

801 Matrix (or 801M on the back)
801 Matrix s2 - new crossovers? Not sure.
801 Matrix s3 - new bass driver and crossovers.

My first 801s I had were Series 80 801Fs and I just straight swapped the tweeters for Matrix ones - Sounded fantastic. They were cheaper then, 15 years ago. Probably not technically right but who cares too much?