Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

That's the one Alex, I love that photograph where you can see the skyscrapers from the railroad tracks. It was just such a setting where me and a choice friend or two would gather to philosophy and smoke exotic blends of tobacco from the orient.

Those were happy times; although I don't have any exotic blends from Mexico or the orient anymore, plus the fact that I no longer smoke, I can still use music like that which you submit as a vehicle to travel back to happier times.

1960 was a fantastic year, coincidentally, that was the year we (select friends) were viewing skyscrapers from railroad cars while discussing different philosophies. You have all the privacy in the world at such a location; just what's needed to smoke exotic blends of tobacco and philosophy.

I'm not sure I even have any music in my collection other than that Richard Wright album that can place a person in a geographic setting, or even create a mood like King Fleming and I never heard of either one of them before your submissions.

Bobby Hutcherson's "A Night In Barcelona" might come close;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc5LzriDdyM

Thanks for remembering.

Ghosthouse, that was boss; I remember Brian Auger from the express, I have one of his albums, this might be his best.

Thanks!
So pleased you liked it, O.  A great track.
Dunno if they had Southside Chicago in mind or not but that title and Auger's playing are what prompted me to post it.  YES - Oblivion Express and going back a little further (I think I have the direction right) there was Julie Driscoll, Brian Auger & Trinity. The guy has been around and paid his dues. His playing on the various CAB albums is superb.