Quicksilver amp owners

Hello
Would/can anyone here describe the "Quicksilver" sound so to speak.
No dealers in my area.
Thanks
mcgarick
@tonydennison
I too have midmonos. I have been using KT66 GL for 2 years. Thinking of using KT88’s....how did they turn out down the road? I used KT88 in some minimites and they sounded terrible so I am a bit hesitant also now I am using a solid state pre....so, maybe
Thanks
T
To: tonydennison,
Passing along a note from another Quicksilver MiniMite owner who avoided KT88s for his MiniMite amps with direction from the factory designer / company owner, Mike Sanders. I do know the latest MidMonos ARE designed to accommodate KT88s and everything from EL34s to KT150s. Choose your preference. You can always call the factory and ask first hand :) and you’ll get an answer. http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/midi-mono/

What works best for MiniMites is not the same for MidMonos.  GL KT88s are nice in Mid Monos, but ask Mike. 

-------------------------------------------------
Reference:

Quote, AudioReview (QS MiniMites)
"Mike Sanders the owner/designer answered the telephone at 8am and gave me advice on what to order. I was initially going to try the much more expensive kt88 or kt90 tubes, however he said even though they would work, the Mini Mites were designed around the el34 tubes so those would work the best although the kt77 and 6l6 tubes would also work extremely well. Based on my limited experimenting the KT77’s provides the best bass while the el34’s provides the most magical midrange." Unquote.

@mcgarick

Quicksilver amp owners

Hello
Would/can anyone here describe the "Quicksilver" sound so to speak.
No dealers in my area.
Thanks

@hilde45
Old thread but good fun. Newest member of the QS club can tell ya, now after some good burn-in on his recently new QS Linestage and Mono 60s.  Maybe he will chime in... received a note tonight and think he indicated something descriptive like "quite lovely".  :) 

My observations are based on the 8417 model which I would characterize as smooth and muted on the top (this was, at least representative of listening sessions between intervals when the amps would blow-up, LOL).  Suited for classical music lovers and not much else.  
The 8417 Triode amp was made over 28 years ago. Discontinued. Made only two years from 1990-1992. Some folks still using them. Several new amps since then. 
Back to the original OP over a decade ago.

Well, they sure respond well sonically to different vintage -and- modern input tube changes. Interconnect changes too for that matter. Nice.

After rotating my vintage input/driver 12xxx tubes (RCA, Sylvania, Tungsram, Mullard "Blackburn", loaner Brimar, CIFT, and others... did some experimentation, re-issues, and now some new stuff for grins.

Tried recent 2020 version of the PSVANE 12AU7-T "Treasure" MKII input tubes and quite surprised at the results. With some burn in, nice midrange, even wider sound stage, retained detail without being edgy, added fullness. Tone and texture coming through more than anticipated.  Another option for those wanting to tuck away the rare vintage tubes and simply listen.  Nice sounding, actually.