The System Percentages Thread

Purpose of this thread is for folks to post where each sub-category of 2 ch music systems they’ve built falls as a percentage of total system msrp. There will be no absolute rights or wrongs, but if a critical mass of postings are achieved, it will give new system builders a reference point of various breakdowns that have worked for A’goners.

I’m probably different than most, in that after a 20 year dormancy (since an NAD/B&W system in 2000), I jumped into the deep end and put together four complete separate systems in the last 18 months. By contrast, most I assume evolve their system(s) over time, picking up a new piece here or there to replace an existing piece.

Both approaches are welcome here, although I thought maybe since I approached each system from scratch with different budget, and planned (sometimes meticulously, sometimes very haphazardly) out the subcategories that way, that it might make for an interesting thread. Plus I’m a numbers guy so this stuff is really interesting to me (and most of all I'm bored with the virus shutdown!!). When I got done and calculated the actual percentages for each, I was surprised by the variance.

I’m sure there’ll be some back and forth about what the best ratio is, and likely that it’ll vary depending on budget, but let’s keep it civil. We all know there are no absolutes in audio, and what works great for one won’t work for another, and vice versa.

For budget I list msrp, even though much of my stuff was acquired used or demo, or at much reduced sale prices. But msrp provides a fixed reference, if nothing else. Feel free to omit budget if you prefer, but I think it adds context regarding differences in %’s across systems.

Feel free to add additional categories than those I have (my systems are simpler than many here I’m sure). Demerits if your percentages fail to add to 100%, haha. Okay to add more details like make/model, but mainly interested in system percentage breakdown. Get those calculators fired up!!

Anyway, here are my four entries:

Reference System ($20-25k msrp):
Speakers: 46% (L,R, and sub)
Amp: 27% (integrated)
Source: 9% (streamer/dac)
Power Conditioner: 5%
Cables: 13%

Secondary System ($10-15k msrp):
Speakers: 42% (L, R, and sub)
Amp: 32% (power amp)
Source: 15% (streamer/dac)
Power Conditioner: 3%
Cables: 8%

Office System ($1-5k msrp):
Speakers: 65% (L, R, and sub)
Amp and Source: 25% (super integrated, all-in-one with streamer)
Power Conditioner: 4%
Cables: 6%

Portable System ($0-1k msrp):
Speakers: 15% (L, R)
Amp and Source: 80% (super integrated, all-in-one with streamer)
Power Conditioner: 1% (surge suppressor)
Cables: 4%

kren0006
Hmm that sounds like work!  😫

Go back even further than that to the 1920s even. A lot of recordings happened pre-Beatles worth hearing to gain a full appreciation of recorded music in all its forms and variations since inception.
@tablejockey,
Yep, currently going reverse chronologically through all of the Van Morrison albums. (some of those albums last couple years......eww, not his best).

And rerouting cables / adjusting Vibrapods / dusting rack / tweaking speaker angles, that was last week ..........

I need some OCD percentages to look at and digest!! Come on, I know there are more out there like me, hahaha (sigh)
True that!! But dang, gotta have something audio-related to pass the time rather than measuring the distance from my speaker tweeters to ear level at listening position for the 3rd time in last month!

Order some fo.Q tape off eBay. $40 for two sheets. This will be time consuming, but you have time. Take any one of your speakers that is easy to remove and pull the drivers. Replace the gasket with fo.Q tape. Apply fo.Q tape to the speaker basket (frame). Put it back together. Be amazed at the massive improvement in openness and palpable presence. Open your amps. Stick some on whatever caps and transformers are easy to get at. Stick some on the metal cover.

Now you will understand why tweaks and accessories are equally as important as everything else. And this is only one, and I have even better.
Primephonic offers up playlists of little-known music from well-known composers.  Right now I'm listening to obscure Tchaikovsky selections.  And oh yeah, I'm also cruising that damn net...
@millercarbon

If $40 worth of tweaks provides a massive improvement to every amp and pair of speakers why wouldn’t manufacturers simply integrate them into the design? I understand why they don’t include expensive power cords, but tweaks that cost pennies??? Seriously, why would they leave so much meat on the bone when the massive improvement wouldn’t be adding to their cost at all?