Where’s My Weakest Link?

Hi All,

I often find myself wondering where to put resources (money) to take my system to the next level. Over the years I have slowly acquired equipment and sometimes I am impressed with the “upgrade”, others I am disappointed with the change/cost ratio. I recently purchased Jim Smiths book, Get Better Sound and was blown away with the changes I was able to make with what I have but I am now back at crossroads of , whats next?

I am running a Bluesound Node 2i> Carver C-16 pre> Conrad Johnson Sonographe SA250> Thiel 1.2.

So what do you think the weakest link is / whats the smartest upgrade?

Thanks in advance!
otterbein
Between your ears. Seriously! Put yourself in a better mood and your system will sound better. Otherwise, get two subwoofers and a 2 way crossover.
You simply aren't using the right fuse - it's the only thing holding your system back from it's full potential.

Honestly, pound for pound putting effort into room acoustic treatment will likely make the biggest difference. I wouldn't start making gear changes before getting the room right first.
I think you should replace your wire with at least one step up the quality ladder. Something like Blue Jean Cable would make a noticeable improvement. 

If you like the sound now, perhaps there is no weakest link.

If you're trying to improve the sound in one or more specific areas, then the indicated component(s) to change may well vary, according to those areas.

There is no one size fits all.

(Wasn't there a thread a year ago about the problematics of how to identify the "weakest link"?)

There is always a weakest link. The problem is the links are molecules, and run from the wire on the other side of the drop line ahead of the breaker panel to the air on the other side of the speaker cone, to the walls that contain the air and even beyond that. That’s a lot of links!