RIP Art Dudley

128x128noromance
So freakin’ young. I was looking forward to him getting older. I felt that he got it; really understood the delicacy and nuance and color of music. And chose equipment that brought out those qualities. I shared his love of idlers and tubes although I’d hazard a guess that my Garrard sounded better than his!
Very sad news indeed.  I found that as I got older I gravitated more and more to his views on audio reproduction.  I will miss his writing.  RIP, Mr. Dudley.

What was Art, in his 50’s? I loved his Listener mag, and his subtle dissing of HP (he worked for him at TAS). He brought the discussion of "tonal density" and "color saturation" in music reproduction to my attention, and some other sophisticated matters. The ability of any given component to reproduce the "forward momentum" (PRAT) in a music was a major priority, I would guess as a result of he being a onetime "Linnie". I admit he lost me when he would discuss the ability of a component to reveal the musical "intent" of the artist, which I found somewhat presumptuous ;-) .

He had a wide and deep appreciation and understanding of lots of disparate musical genres, and approached the quality of a recording "music first". My kinda guy.