Stuck at home? Make a kit!!

Hey all,

If you’ve been in audio for any length of time you might have talked shop about speakers, or amps, or tubes quite a bit. Maybe cables. If you are going to be quarantined, or socially isolating or just really don’t like other people (something I respect) maybe now is time to try a kit.

Lots of Pass fans here, so why not try a First Watt amp kit? Maybe build your own passive line stage?

How about pure silver interconnects? A speaker with a Be tweeter? How about a small coaxial speaker for the surrounds, or just to tinker? Desktop full range?

Build your own music streamer for Roon with a Raspberri Pi?

Got kids at home you need project ideas for? Just keep the solder fumes out of their faces, and use lead free. :)

Best,

E
erik_squires
I have to ask - Why? - when the title of the thread has "Make a Kit" in it, would the first response be...

"Here we go again with the DIY"

Of course it’s DIY - it’s in the title of the thread.

So for DIYers - or those thinking about DIY - can elect to look at it

AND CONVERSLY...

Those NOT interested in DIY can elect NOT to look at it.

Pretty simple really :-)

BTW - I'm with all the other DIY'ers - if it wasn’t apparent :-)

Just sayin...
My local audio club had a virtual meeting a week ago on Zoom with Nelson Pass. He said that without question the happiest audiophiles he knows are DIYers. That was not said to sell kits as he was talking about all types of audio DIY.

I'm game to try. Anyone know of a truly great DIY phono stage kit?
Big fan of DIY. Particularly speakers. Bang for the buck is stunning. 
After building a set of GR-Research NX-Oticas and servo OB subs, I’m a huge fan of Danny’s designs  

I also think basic DIY cables make a lot of sense, meaning using high quality bulk cable and connectors. I’m not as much of a fan of using querky cable geometries or trying to braid my own cables. 
I’m currently working on building my own mono block amps with a design derived from Firstwatt’s F5. I don’t think there is as much price-performance advantage building electronics but there is satisfaction and an ability to optimize the design to exactly meet your needs. 
DIY is great, I started a long time ago because I didn’t trust Hi-Fi marketing BS so I thought I’d learn and make my own decisions. I think kits are the best jumping in point to learning as at least you’ll end up with something decent in the end.
Speakers: Seas & Zaph|Audio. Madisound are popular on your side of the Atlantic, I get drivers from Falcon Acoustics in the UK.
Amplifiers: Check out Neurochrome, very well regarded in the DIY world and obviously Nelson Pass.
Oh and an account at diyaudio.com is a must because you’ll get stuck at some point and it’s the best place to get help, even more so if you get into developing your own designs.
For those who like making stuff and have the time and patience I can’t recommend DIY enough... my personal recommendation for VFM is the Seas A26 kit with Neurochrome Modulus Amplifiers.