The sound of my new electrical service: Day 1

And I mean a completely new service. New pole!, new pole transformer!, new underground line to the house (was above ground), new meter, and new breaker box with all new breakers. House wireing remains the same. Talk about an upgrade! Or, will it be a sonic downgrade? I wouldn't be surprised. House was built in 1964, so that stuff was 50 years old.
I don't do much desk work, so typing all these subjective impressions will be quite a bit of work for me. I hope we all can find it interesting at the least. I doubt too many others will have to go through this with their systems, so maybe it's pointless, but might still be interesting. Beforehand, my system was sounding so good that I was afraid to change anything. You know what I mean don't you? If not, I'm sure you will get there eventually.
System: completely restored, vintage tube. Been through the modern stuff, this is the real thing. I will stick to digital VIA CD for the first few days to keep things simple for us.
Day 1: Eric Clapton "Unplugged", Buddy Guy and Jr. Wells "Alone and Acoustic", Ani Defranco "Living in Clip"
Right away I noticed the urge to turn the volume down. I'm usually inclined to turn it up because this system can sound so deliciously juicy with real life timbre and tone. Not sure if it now plays louder at the same volume setting, or if it is just more irritating. On Unplugged the instruments have lost that deliciously right timbre and tone. Total lack of analog like sweetness and the system could even be mistaken for solid state. It has aquired a solid state like impression of power though. Foot stomp/tapping is more audible with a bass like presence. Sibilants, S's are pronounced like they linger too long. Capton's voice is both murky and harsh at the same time. Overall, a great loss of transparency that makes this obviously a recording and not the musicians in my room.
On Buddy Guy, a lack of clarity on the voices. Also irritation when things get peaky. Jr's harmonica is dark and lacking the usual bouncy excitement. Guitar tone seems lacking in higher frequencies. Again though, I hear more intense feet to the floor sounds. Need to play something with bass to see what happens there.
On to Defranco's live disc. If you have any interest at all in this artist, just buy this one. You might not love all of it, but the good stuff is just great. On this disc, the energy is all there, but on the irritating side when things get loud. Voice comes off better than the other two discs, but not at all what I am used to. Bass? Well, it seems tighter, but not better or stronger. Her guitar rings out as usual with plenty of power, but, again the timbre is off making everything less interesting. When the music quiets down, a perception of transparency sets in that approaches what I am used to here.
Thats it for now, stay tuned for day 2, etc. to come.
hifiharv
03-20-14: Mapman
Al, explain please why that would not be useful?
Hi Mapman,

I think oscilloscope measurements would be unlikely to be useful because:

(a)The noise and distortion that is present on the AC will consist of a complex and probably time-varying mix of essentially ALL frequencies extending far up into the RF region, at many different amplitudes, including broadband noise as well as noise and distortion components at discrete frequencies. Most likely the amplitudes at some of that near-infinite number of frequencies will be higher after the change than before, and some will be lower after the change than before. There's no way to predict how a specific component in a specific system will react to that complex mix of differences.

(b)An oscilloscope won't provide much if any detail about that complex mix of differences anyway. It will pretty much just give an indication of the amplitude of the overall sum of everything, and perhaps also the amplitude of SOME of the discrete frequency components. Whether that overall sum is more than or less than what was present before would tell us little or nothing, because the sensitivity of the system components to noise and distortion at different frequencies within that sum will be different.

(c)There is also no way to predict whether ANY of the differences in noise and distortion that may be measured would have any relevance at all to the sonic changes that are perceived. How can we know, for instance, whether a small change in line voltage, a small change in contact integrity somewhere, the breakin possibility some of the others have referred to, or some other effect, will or won't be more responsible for the perceived change?

I learned many times over during my EE career that from a practical standpoint some things are inherently unpredictable, and can be determined only by trial and error. A good design will have as little sensitivity as possible to unpredictable variables, but no design is perfect.

Best regards,
-- Al
Hifiharv,

Did you get a chance to look at the new electrical panel?
Manufacture, style, and series? Info should be on the inside of the hinged cover door.

Also would like to know if the AHJ, (Authority Having Jurisdiction), in this case the electrical inspection department in your area follows NEC 2011 and or NEC 2014 Code and required AFCI, (Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter) breakers for the 120V 15 and 20 amp outlet branch circuits feeding areas, rooms, as required by NEC Code.

http://www.nachi.org/arc-fault-circuit-interrupters.htm

http://www.afcisafety.org/qa.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc-fault_circuit_interrupter
Thanks,
Jim
Al,

All good points, but I still wonder if a scope can be useful for the sole purpose of observing any differences in AC line noise levels before and after an attempted power tweak, say like with and without a particular AC power regenerator or filtering device.

If not, how do the designers of said devices determine how well their designs work or not?

There must be a way that power treatment devices are tested. Otherwise the whole concept of systematically addressing clean power issues (beyond basic amps and volts measures) is highly suspect.
Mapman, let's take the BrickWall surge suppressor/line filter that I use as an example. Its specs that are relevant to noise filtering, which are certainly measurable as well as probably being analytically predictable to a reasonable approximation, are as follows:
EMI/RFI Filter Response (bi-directional, wave tracking): With 50 ohm Rg load: 3db at 5kHz; 26dB at 100kHz; 38dB at 300kHz.

Let-Through Slew Rate: 5,000 volt/µs disturbance reduced to 28v/µs within AC power wave envelope, and less than 10v/µs outside the power wave envelope.
As with most designs, presumably those characteristics were chosen based on what the designers considered to be a preferable set of tradeoffs between the likelihood of audible benefit; the likelihood of undesirable side-effects; development cost; manufacturing cost; parts availability; physical characteristics; target selling price; marketability; profitability; utilization of available human, equipment, and intellectual property resources; etc., etc.

But can they, or any other manufacturer of such products, predict with any confidence what sonic benefits and/or side-effects will result when a product having those kinds of specifications is used in an arbitrarily chosen system powered by AC having arbitrary and unknown characteristics? The answers to those rhetorical questions seem clear. The bottom line, IMO, being as you stated in your last sentence :-)

Best regards,
-- Al
Sorry Jim, did not get to the box last night. I'll do that tonight along with testing the voltage. Something tells me I don't want AFCI's. We'll see. Not sure what our County's requirements are but passed two inspections on the day of the work.