Victor TT 801

Hi all.
Anyone own it?
Has it ever been necessary to carry out a recap or suffered a failure and carry out the calibration or repair without a service manual available in the world?
128x128best-groove
  • but the original vacuum mat does not work. Looking for one

the rubber mat for TT801 is very rare to find sold individually; moreover, it is known that the rubber of the mat breaks over time, making the mat unusable.
    It is best to abandon the original carpet and pump and use the Audio Technica AT 666 / AT 666 EX system with a dedicated pump.

I have a TT-801.  It was supposed to be an update of the TT-101 to allow vacuum suction of the record onto the platter. In order to achieve this they utilized more chips than the TT-101 and thus you will find the circuit board is less cluttered and contains fewer transistors.  In addition there are maybe only one or two trimmers (from memory?) that need adjustment as opposed to the half dozen or more on the TT-101.

I recapped myself and wrote to Japan requesting purchase of a service manual but was told that there was none available. I even had my Japanese friend in Tokyo look for a service manual for me but he said there was none. I think this model was only sold in Japan but I am certain that service centers there would be able to service this. My TT-801 seems to work perfectly but just like best-groove I will never know if it is working optimally after the recap.  
@dickson despite the vacuum pump what is actually better in TT-801 compared to TT-101 , is that audible ? Just curious 
@chakster 

first of all the TT801 is much more simplified as components and less chaotic for assistance than the TT-101, then it does not have oil inside the spindle but grease.
If it sounds better it will be difficult to prove, but it is so fascinating.

@dickson 

it seems incredible that in the world there is no service manual for this damned turntable.
So my original hunch that the 801 could be a 101 that uses more ICs and fewer transistors now looks to have been correct . But chakster was so certain the electronics were from the 81....

Replacing the electrolytics in the PS should not necessitate a recalibration. And ought to be done. Film capacitors in the rest of the circuit do not usually fail and can be left alone. It would be ill advised to replace ICs if the thing is working. Good to have spares available however.