Group Challenge - Home lighting, who is in?

Hi everyone,

So I've been thinking a little bit about when my system seems to sound best, and I'm starting to wonder if it's the lights.  Modern high efficiency lights have a lot more tech in them than the old school incandescent, which were basically a resistor placed between the hot and the neutral.

So here is the challenge, if you are keen to try an experiment and post your results. Around  7-9 PM your local time turn off all the lights in your home and listen to your system. Do you hear a benefit?

Post your findings, positive or negative along with any power conditioner you may be using.

Please stay safe, keep a flashlight or other device handy if you need to. :)

Best,

Erik
erik_squires
I follow the site. Good ideas, they can come from anyone, anywhere, any time. When I learned about DBA, it was here. Not you, but here. HFT, ECT, fo.Q same thing, here. Those were as I recall Pritchard, Tim, and Mike, respectively. Nothing from you so far. But still, you never know....

I much prefer listening with the lights off. I even got some of these network-controlled plugs so I can switch them without getting up.

I’ve always thought it’s the lack of distraction that makes the experience better, but I can’t rule out that the lights are somehow affecting the actual sound. In my space, though, lighting and audio have separate dedicated circuits.
I have a floor lamp right next to the listening chair. One bulb is normal. The other bulb is blue. When I'm listening to the system, I turn on the blue light only and it casts a lovely subtle blue glow throughout the room.

Trippy, Rippy, Dippy. 

Home Depot sells various colors. 

Frank