Questions about recording vimyl to computer?

I have watched some videos about the necessary hardware & software. And I have manipulated digital files such as conversion Flac to Alac (for Ipod) & download,  etc.  I have a lot of Flac & Alac  files already. So, I have plenty of computer & vinyl experience. Transferred many to cassette too. But none to digital.
I know I need Audacity and supposedly it is free.

I have a very good TT, Cart and phono pre. I have a laptop Win 7
Do I need a USB Audio Interface? Or can I go with my JLTi preamp to the 1/8 input jack on computer? Which will give best sound quality? Or does that matter to the 1's & 0's?

This USB Audio Interface has a phono preamp too, which quality may be sorely lacking. And considering I have a LOMC cart, maybe inappropriate for the job. Any suggestions? Didn't know whether to post in vinyl or digital.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UFO202--behringer-u-phono-ufo202-usb-audio-interface-with-ph...

128x128artemus_5
@almarg 

I have a Peavey 20 channel  mixer with USB out. I have RCA in on 2 channels. I suspect I could plug the phono pre into the Peavey board and output from USB to the computer using audacity. Does that sound like a solution? It is a pro grade mixer (from when I was a rock star). Or am I still affected by excess computer noise?
I have no particular knowledge of Peavey mixers or other comparable devices.  But since you already have one giving it a try seems like a worthwhile idea.

Good luck.  Regards,
-- Al

I’ve been doing this for a while now so have some recommendations. Look into Pro Audio interfaces, The Focusrite Scarlett 2 channel will do 24/192 and is relatively inexpensive . There are others. You can go up into the stratosphere from there. Lynx and Apogee among others make superb ADC units. Also look into Pure Vinyl software. It will not only interface with the hardware to do the recording, it does a superb job of RIAA correction as well as a lot of handy features that make things easier for you.

one final thought, Do not get one of those all in one USB turntables. Do your homework and get something you can live with for the duration. recording vinyl is not like copying a CD. It is done in real time and requires your attention. It takes a lot of time, but you do get to listen to records while you do it . Last thing you want is to put in a lot of hours only to discover there was a better, easier way.

second final thought, why do you want to do this? I thought it sounded like a great idea but after doing it for a while decided why not just spin the record when i wanted to hear those songs? What was I going to do with the digital file anyway that it made it worth the expense and hassle required to get the file?
Apart from digitising your collection, can any audio advantages be gained from this?Actually like the sound vimyl better than vinyl.
I wouldn't waste time trying to edit audio with Audacity. It is one royal pain in the ass.  Try to scare up an old version of Sound Forge.
I haven't used the latest since Sony sold it but it's probably worth $60.
https://www.magix.com/us/sem/sound-forge-audio-studio/
The best was ver.5 by Sonic Foundry.  When Sony bought it they said it wouldn't work in WinXP.  It did.  Didn't work in Win7.  Does in Win10.  BUT it doesn't save to flac.  Ver.13 was written by Sony and is rock solid.  Just not as shortcut friendly as 5.  Sony gave me a ver.7 during WIn7.  meh
For vinyl I record in place to a CD recorder.  Then declick and master on a desktop.