Questions about recording vimyl to computer?

I have watched some videos about the necessary hardware & software. And I have manipulated digital files such as conversion Flac to Alac (for Ipod) & download,  etc.  I have a lot of Flac & Alac  files already. So, I have plenty of computer & vinyl experience. Transferred many to cassette too. But none to digital.
I know I need Audacity and supposedly it is free.

I have a very good TT, Cart and phono pre. I have a laptop Win 7
Do I need a USB Audio Interface? Or can I go with my JLTi preamp to the 1/8 input jack on computer? Which will give best sound quality? Or does that matter to the 1's & 0's?

This USB Audio Interface has a phono preamp too, which quality may be sorely lacking. And considering I have a LOMC cart, maybe inappropriate for the job. Any suggestions? Didn't know whether to post in vinyl or digital.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UFO202--behringer-u-phono-ufo202-usb-audio-interface-with-ph...

128x128artemus_5
CONFOUND RABBIT! Wont let me edit the title!!!! And can't delete. OK its 

VINYL
Generally speaking it seems to me that what is likely to be much more critical than the USB interface circuit provided by such a device is its A/D converter. And the $38 price of the unit you referenced doesn’t seem to be encouraging in that regard. Also, I would expect that the A/D converters which accept analog inputs in computers are generally not up to audiophile standards, in part because they operate in a noise-filled environment.

What I suspect would be a much better approach would be to connect the output of your phono stage or line stage to a standalone digital recorder, which would digitize the signals and record them to a flash memory card, such as an SDXC card. You would then transfer the files from the card to the computer, using a memory card reader if the computer doesn’t have one built-in.

I suggest perusing the listings of such recorders at B&H Photo Video. Personally I have had great experiences with a Sound Devices MixPre6, although the present Mark II version of that recorder sells for $885. (A MixPre3 II version providing three channels rather than the six provided by the MixPre6 sells for $680). But models from other manufacturers are available for much lower prices. The Sound Devices recorders also provide USB interfaces, btw, but I haven’t used mine in that manner.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al

@almarg    

Thanks for the info & link. As usual I figure a $1  budget and the real cost is  $8. That's the problem with a champagne taste with a beer pocket book. LOL. Now, where to find that other $7
@almarg 

I have a Peavey 20 channel  mixer with USB out. I have RCA in on 2 channels. I suspect I could plug the phono pre into the Peavey board and output from USB to the computer using audacity. Does that sound like a solution? It is a pro grade mixer (from when I was a rock star). Or am I still affected by excess computer noise?
I have no particular knowledge of Peavey mixers or other comparable devices.  But since you already have one giving it a try seems like a worthwhile idea.

Good luck.  Regards,
-- Al