Question on how DAC’s work...

Hello all!

In my system, my digital sources are a Denon DVD-2900 disc player (CD/DVD-Audio/SACD) & a Bluesound Vault 2. Most of my listening these days is done with the Vault 2 streaming Tidal, especially the growing catalog of MQA offerings. 

My first question is, if I were to start using an external DAC, and that DAC does not have MQA compatibility, would I still be getting the potential of “better sound” from the external DAC even though the Vault is doing all the unfolding?

My second question is if my disc player exports SACD at a different bit-rate than what the DAC is capable of, will the DAC upscale or alter the bit-rate to get better performance?

Sorry if these are rudimentary questions, but the only DAC I’ve purchased to this point is a Meridian Explorer 2 that I’m using in a PC audio setup & was pretty much plug & play. 

Thanks for any help...Hope you’re all doing well!

Arvin
128x128arvincastro
jassman7,

I just read your reply.  Are you saying if I connected my Bluesound Node 2i to an external DAC using digital coax, I could achieve complete unfold of MQA?  When I attached a ProJect S2 DAC to my Bluesound, the bass sounded thinner.  I think the highs were crisper.  However, when I played the Bluesound by itself, especially listening to MQA, it sounded better and the sound stage really improved.  Unless, more expensive DAC sound a lot better I must not be listening correctly.  Why do I think MQA sounds more lifelike?  It seems like I am the only one who hears the difference with MQA.  Maybe it is smoke and mirrors.  The dealer I purchased my REL subwoofers suggested buying a Belcanto streamer.  He told me it is significantly better sounding than the Bluesound and worth the money.  I never hear anyone in this group mentioning the name Belcanto.

I have lots to learn.  I am not sure how many of you have wives that would divorce you if you purchased a $3000 streamer?
I just read your reply. Are you saying if I connected my Bluesound Node 2i to an external DAC using digital coax, I could achieve complete unfold of MQA 

To get the complete unfold of MQA with an external DAC  the external DAC needs to be MQA compatible, some DAC's will do a partial unfold to 96k. 
larry5729,
if you are using a Bluesound Node of any generation, be it first gen Node N100, 2nd gen Node 2, or 3rd gen Node 2i, as just a renderer connected via its digital output, be it Toslink or Coax, the Bluesound Node acting as renderer will do the first set of unfolds.   If the DAC its hooked up to is a non MQA DAC, that will get you all the way to 96K HZ.  I've had great success with an N100 hooked up to a Bryston BDA1 via Toslink and a Node 2i coupled to a Chord Qutest via both Coax and Toslink.  My results with both setups gave me better SQ to my ears than a full unfold via Node analog outputs.  The digital cables employed can make a difference as well.   Not knocking the Belcanto.  But before putting $1000-$1500 into the Belcanto streamer (I'm guessing the E.One Stream), I'd put that same money into a better DAC.  The Node 2i is a great piece of kit for the money.