Subwoofer insight.

This is new territory to me. Current speakers are 2 way with frequency response of 60Hz-20KHz with +/- 2dB.  Sensitivity rated as 86dB. Chance to purchase a pair of REL 7 tis. I feel like I am missing something but will have to buy the subs to try out. My basic question is this. Does this purchase sound wise? I know what I am willing to spend but do you think I will notice an appreciable improvement.  I know that no one can listen through my ears but this is my first time doing this. Source is 75 watt integrated tube amp, McIntosh MA-2275. Thoughts appreciated. I am leaning towards going forward with the deal but would appreciate some feedback. Room is large and open, 28X38 feet with 9 foot ceilings. Thanks for any feedback.
ricmci
You have a point Sounder. Just pointing out cheaper and better options.
Chaz, it’s not fake news. Try listening to a simple acoustic recording then a complicated classical piece and see which seems more detailed.
Tweak, any quality sub can be integrated into a system if setup correctly.
any quality sub can be integrated into a system if setup correctly
define integrated

More ≠ Better.

Without multiple slopes, phase, polarity and optimally delay integration will suffer except for a very small subset of mains.

IMO, some units are jewelry aimed at the ignorant. From where they were 20 years ago, REL has definitely moved in that direction. Chrome feet w logo. PuLeease!
rwwear2,722 posts03-27-2020 9:09amChaz, it’s not fake news.
It is fake news.
A single Rel 812 se is -6dbs at 19hz.

https://rel.net/shop/powered-subwoofers/serie-s/s-812/

What REL's do better is reproduce the subtle mid bass sonics and details and integrate that with the mains.
define integrated

Integrated means of one piece, whole. Its a fact. You could look it up. Bass is integrated when its impossible to tell there are subs, or even any speakers at all. Integrated is when the bass is so clean and clear and extended you are enveloped to the point where the walls of the room dissolve and you feel you are within a holographic acoustic space.

This is impossible to achieve with any one sub. The more subs you use the easier this becomes. With four or five subs it is trivially easy. Virtually any four subs located virtually anywhere in the room will get you there. No single sub located anywhere will. Not even two. More is better.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367

Would be very interested to hear ieales tell us all how many four and five sub setups he has tried, in order to fully evaluate his credibility on the subject.
You guys won't give up.  MC you have a one track mind!!  I don't see any comment in this thread saying you only need one sub.  The OP actually has 2.  

Then ieales insists on something super complicated, or it's not even good enough for him to discuss (making me wonder why he keeps discussing it). 

Since when does a logo and chrome foot (actually mine don't have chrome feet, they are aluminum) have anything to do with the quality of the product?

You two should get together to talk about how right you both are.