I Need Some Opinions...

I have a modest turntable setup consisting of a Pro-Ject RM 5.1SE with the stock 9cc carbon arm. I use it through a Project Phono Box II SE and use a Pro-Ject Speed Box II SE. The preamp is connected to my Krell 400xi integrated driving Hales Revelation 3 speakers. I am still using the Sumiko Blue Point No.2 which came with the table.

My thought is I could likely improve the performance of this setup by changing cartridges; looking for more detail I THINK a LOMC might be a good idea. Is this a correct thought?

I am considering a Goldring Eroica LX for this setup. Any ideas if this will get me what I’m after? 

Would I be able to reap more benefits from a much better (i.e. more expensive) LOMC or would my current system make such a purchase meaningless?

Thanks for any input.
128x128dmac67
What ever you do, don't put a $2k Lyra Delos  on your table.
$5-700 max, will get an appropriate cart. Audio Tehnica and Hana would be on my radar.After that, questionable value/performance based on your table/phonostage.

Keep the speakers, they were quite good when introduced.
Although I don’t necessarily agree with every aspect of Chakster’s rationale, I do agree that you can improve your system by dumping the sumiko cartridge in favor of some select MM and MI types. LOMC is not necessarily better per se than other types. Also as Chak says you need to tell us the gain of your phono section. You may not have enough gain for an LOMC.

millercarbon, “Piezoelectric” describes an object that gives off electricity when subjected to physical pressure. Your tape seems to cancel resonance by a damping effect. That’s not piezoelectric. Similarly those products that SR like to call “transducers” are not transducers.
My phono preamp’s MC setting has 60db gain and it’s MM setting has 40db gain.
It also has jumpers for setting impedance and load resistance. In its era, the Phono Box SE II got some very favorable reviews in its price point (only $500}.

If it helps with pertinent information, here is a link to my system:

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7425

To throw in a twist, I think a VPI Prime Scout might be a huge upgrade in tables. Thinking I could pull that trigger and retire my current table. I would also likely need to upgrade my phono preamp. Opinions on this idea would also be appreciated.

I have lots of things to consider and, thanks to. Covid 19, lots of time to consider them while working from home.

Thanks to all
" think a VPI Prime Scout might be a huge upgrade in tables. Thinking I could pull that trigger and retire my current table."

You'll get plenty of suggestions on what to get. If you chose the VPI Scout, look at this
https://upscaleaudio.com/products/vpi-super-prime-scout

You will also get plenty of "expert" advice why not to consider VPI.

"I would also likely need to upgrade my phono preamp."
https://upscaleaudio.com/products/manley-labs-chinook?_pos=1&_sid=9ccf0f075&_ss=r
The suggested Lyra Delos will now be served.

Get a nice tube amp, your DONE!