Are big subwoofers viable for 2 channel music?

In thinking about subwoofers to get for a large future listening space (30' x 30'). So far there seems to be a lot of great options for smaller subs for music.. such as the rel s812. Now my main focus will be music but I do plan to do some home theater on the system and I do enjoy subs that reach low and have strong but clear sub-bass. Would a large sealed sub still be able to provide clean tight bass that digs low and thus satisfy both duties. Can it ever match the speed and precision of a pair or more of rel 812s? Something like PSA S7201 or Captivator RS2?

A realize a smaller sub has a smaller moving mass and thus for a given level of power would be faster than a bigger sub with a bigger moving mass (driver mass). But a large sub would have to move less to achieve the same SPL and would reach lower.

Anyhow what do you guys think? Thanks.
smodtactical
The mass/speed issue is not real.

What is real is the integration with the room.  Smaller sub = less bass = less problems.

Otherwise, bigger is better. :)

A well treated room, including bass traps, is the best place to start.  Talk to GIK Acoustics for advice.
Ask big greg what he thinks of his Rythmik’s...his SVS SB 13’s are beasts too.  Note that he is using 4 subs.  Seems more is more better!
I've been super happy with the Rythmiks.  I like the servo system and Brian and Enrico have been helpful when I've had questions, even though I bought mine second hand.  I've had a few SVS subs and they are great performers also.

Using 4 subs is great.  At first I only used all 4 in my home theater system, but since setting them up for 2 channel listening I find the music more enveloping and engaging.  On many music pieces where the bass isn't prominent, all you hear is clean tight bass that doesn't draw attention to itself.  When playing something with a lot of bass in it, they come alive and give you the feel of listening to live music.