Subwoofer insight.

This is new territory to me. Current speakers are 2 way with frequency response of 60Hz-20KHz with +/- 2dB.  Sensitivity rated as 86dB. Chance to purchase a pair of REL 7 tis. I feel like I am missing something but will have to buy the subs to try out. My basic question is this. Does this purchase sound wise? I know what I am willing to spend but do you think I will notice an appreciable improvement.  I know that no one can listen through my ears but this is my first time doing this. Source is 75 watt integrated tube amp, McIntosh MA-2275. Thoughts appreciated. I am leaning towards going forward with the deal but would appreciate some feedback. Room is large and open, 28X38 feet with 9 foot ceilings. Thanks for any feedback.
ricmci
I think after 30 years of experience and actually owning several subwoofers qualifies me as educated. Again, there are no absolutes in Audio, only preferences. So, I’ll continue to provide my opinion based on actual listening, but I won’t try to insult anyone that disagrees with me.
Okay. I have 30 years in the business of selling and installing systems and tuning them for many satisfied customers. I never intended to insult you Ric. I'm sure your system sounds good. I just know the RELs are twice the money of the SVS subs while getting less. If a sub can produce high quality bass below 20hz it has a much better chance of producing high quality 40hz bass.
Actually, the SVS 16s that you recommend start at $2000 each.  The question from OP wasn't about which sub to choose.  It was how to make the best use of RELs, which he bought.  That said, the T/7i that he bought currently retails at $900.  

Bringing the discussion back to OP, in my experience, the RELs are good for stereo.  I'm happy with mine, and honestly think that since adding dual REL subs, by system is better balanced at all FR and sounds better than it ever has.  We'd like to hear what you think after you get it all tuned in.

I will also say I"m a big fan of SVS.  My father asked me to help with his HT setup, and we got him a full set of SVS Ultra speakers and a pair of SVS 2000 subwoofers.  His system sounds fantastic, too.  For HT.
  • Sorry to the OP and I won't respond again. 
I don’t listen to any music that has bass any where near 20hz, let alone below 20hz. "I just know the RELs are twice the money of the SVS subs while getting less." You make your statement as fact, but it’s your opinion. I don’t want to defend REL, because I don’t have a financial interest in them. I submit "we" do a disservice to the audiophile community when we make comments like, "I just know the RELs are twice the money of the SVS subs while getting less." The truth is they’re different and to my ears, SVS just don’t produce different shades of bass. If someone said they required a subwoofer for HT and didn’t want to spend a lot of money I would recommend SVS. If someone said, they want a subwoofer that produces different shades of bass for 2-channel , that improves everything across the audio spectrum, I would recommend REL. If I had to recommend a subwoofer to someone with a dual purpose system combining HT with 2-channel and price isn’t a concern I recommend JL Audio.
My only reason for not buying a REL speaker is they don't dive deep enough. Notice I said speaker not sub....My SVS SB2000 can reach below 20Hz, has nothing to do about "hearing" this, its about feel and sustain of musical passages with deep notes.
My main speakers are prolly in the 35Hz range, why get a REL that is at 30Hz range, and pay 30-40% more.

Super pleased at what the SVS does to my 2-channel.....Proper setup is critical.