Line fault at the outlet -- do I need an electrician?

Yesterday, I got a Panamax, Max 1500 surge protector and line conditioner. (I got a very good deal on it, and am just trying it out.)

I plugged it into an outlet I've been using for a while and one of the red lights on the front lit up saying "line fault." (I'm not sure how this is different from a "ground fault." Maybe it's the same.) The Panamax does not do this with other outlets in the room. They seem ok.

So, I know this means that the outlet is improperly wired. My question is, might this be a simple thing to check and/or fix? Any suggestions most appreciated. It's the only outlet I can use to have my audio set up where I usually have it. Now is not an optimal time to call an electrician. If this is a big problem, I'll try out my gear somewhere else in the room, but if I can fix this without too much expertise, that would be ideal.
128x128hilde45
Thanks, Jim. Later today, I will probably try this. Or tomorrow.

Before I proceed -- I want to be clear that so far I have tested multiple outlets on this daisy chain -- they all read as reversed.

I do not yet know how far back they go. 

QUESTION: Are you suggesting that I try to *just* deal with the outlet nearest my gear? Or are you saying that I should deal with something at a prior step in the chain (nearer) to the breaker box?
I would follow Jim's advice but you may want to start at the beginning and pull the cover off the panel box and JUST LOOK to see that the wiring on the circuit breaker matches all others. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING IN THE PANEL BOX! If possible you can always turn off the main power breaker coming into the panel to do this. Sometimes homeowners add a circuit (I added a dedicated 20 amp circuit to mine) and they may have wired it wrong. I highly doubt that's the case but it is possible. By the way, if you kill the main breaker, be sure to have a flashlight in your hand.
It’s two different outlets that have the fault -- one feeds the next one.

This right here is the single biggest problem with audiophile quality power: the daisy chain. When running a dedicated line this is the biggest benefit by far, the elimination of all these extra connections in the power path. Its not so much that voltage improves, although in your case it sounds like it might, but the elimination of a lot of connections and all the micro-arcing and eddy currents that go along with them.

DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING IN THE PANEL BOX!

Right. Whatever you do, do not remove the inner panel cover. Do not remove all the circuit breakers. Do not paste expensive goo all over the bus bars. Do not connect anything other than to code. No matter how good it makes your system sound. Just don’t. Lol!

Oh and whatever you do, DO NOT run 240V to a step down transformer, and hard wire it to a home brew mess of a conditioner. DO NOT DO THIS! ROTFLMFAO!
https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367
Thanks for the safety suggestions, all. I aim to have a dedicated line but that has to wait on some home renovations. At the moment, I just want to locate my gear where the shelves, etc. are -- but that's where the weird outlets are. I'll be careful.