Streaming

I have been a die hard analog fan for my entire audiophile life.  I know very little about digital and streaming, currently.  Do different sources of streaming material sound different?  Do different devices sound better than my current $100
Auris bluMe HD Bluetooth 5.0 ?

128x128jw944ts
jw944ts

"Lossy" refers to music files like mp3 which discard some details from the encoded soundwaves to save space. These files are 5 times smaller than FLAC files which are lossless, and which sound better on recordings which have a lot of important detail. Tidal's MQA is also lossy and sounds worse than FLAC on eg. piano music. Personally I stick with HiRes or CD quality material from Qobuz or Tidal.
Bluesound Node 2i is great indeed; I've been using it connected to WiFi. There should be no difference WiFi or wired if your WiFi works well. Say you are streaming FLAC from Qobuz. Wired or WiFi, you will be getting the same, and lossless, file.  You can also put FLAC files on a disk and connect the disk to Node 2i with USB.
Node 2i has nice applications that let you connect services like Qobuz and then select music to play.
So what does Node 2i do with this FLAC? Well, you can let it decode FLAC to analog with its internal very decent DAC; then connect Node 2i's analog RCA output to your amplifier.  That's how I listened to music since October 2019 to January 2020. And it was very good.
Then I improved the system by getting an external, dedicated DAC (RME ADI-2 DAC FS). I no longer use Node 2i's internal DAC. Just use Node 2i for its streamer function and pass on FLAC files that it gets from Qobuz via a digital link to the DAC's digital input. Now the external DAC generates analog output from FLAC. In addition to RCA, it has balanced outputs, which I use to pass the analog signal to the amp. Perfect sound and I am done with upgrades.
Your experience will then strongly depend on amp/speakers/room.
I've decided on the Audiolab 6000N streamer to get into the world of streaming. It uses the DTS
Play- Fi. (Play-Fi https://play-fi.com/) which supports lots of streaming services and multi room, so you can stream to every device you own.The unit has Wi Fi,  coaxial and RCA out Apparently the app is very user friendly for phone, ipad & Apple & Windows laptops
It has the ES9018 Saber32 reference chip, although I'll bypass the chip as I have the external Exogal comet plus DAC. Currently I don't own a laptop, but do have an ipad. I like the idea of being in the music room and controlling streaming services from my smart phone
I'm sure you'll find a streamer that will suit your needs, and be amazed at all the new artists and music that's available via streaming! Good luck on the hunt.
I see you say you have decided on the Audiolab. From what I have read they appear to be a good unit in that price range. 
If you have not purchased the Audiolab yet I would like to suggest looking into another option from a company that rarely gets mentioned. Nord Acoustics Easy Stream Connect DAC 9038. 
Nord is a UK based company that from everything I have read appears to make great products at their price point. Many people that have systems comprised of relatively expensive gear seem to be quite pleased with their DACs, streamers and class D amplifiers. 
The Easy Stream Connect DAC 9038 is a streamer with built in DAC using the ES 9038 chip. If you want to use an external DAC it has the option to do it via digital or coaxial out. 
I do not currently own one. I am waiting on delivery of mine now. At roughly $300 US I figure it's worth a try. ALL of the owners on the sites that have used both the Bluesound Node 2i and Easy Stream Connect DAC say that the Nord Acoustics product wins by a long shot. 
@bgpoppabThank you for that suggestion on the
Nord Acoustics Easy Stream Connect DAC 9038
as I've never come across that company before
Unfortunately my Audiolab 6000N is on it's way.
There are so many streamers out there that I'm sure will do an excellent job. Probably one of the biggest determining factor would be it's internal DAC if you don't own a external DAC and the software (app) interface. The Audiolab 6000N
with it's DTS Play fi software multi room interface really appealed to me.
It also won What Hi Fi streamer of the year, but they might be a bit bias  : )

Watch "The All-New Audiolab 6000N Play" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/NwTfvNwj9jw