Streaming

I have been a die hard analog fan for my entire audiophile life.  I know very little about digital and streaming, currently.  Do different sources of streaming material sound different?  Do different devices sound better than my current $100
Auris bluMe HD Bluetooth 5.0 ?

128x128jw944ts
the Bluesound Node 2i does NOT need to be hardwired to the router, but can get a WiFi signal on its own, and then be interconnected to my preamp?

Yes. If you have a good wifi signal at your stereo it will play hi-res just fine over wifi.  A wired connection is not needed.  Then you just connect the Node 2i to your preamp exactly like you connect your phono pre to it.

How do you chose the SOURCE material, please?

Download the BluOs app to your phone or a tablet from the Apple store for Apple devices or Google Play for Android devices . The app is ready to connect with and control Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, internet radio and much more. You just open the app, select the service you want and then you can search or browse for music, it shows the album covers, the tracklist, etc. It’s all you need until you become hardcore.

If you have a decent wifi signal and can listen to cd, the sound quality will be fine. Not the ultimate, but good enough.
@jw944ts  - what is the source of your music now? You say you are streaming via bluetooth from your phone, correct? What is the app on your phone that you are using? Is it Spotify, Apple Music, etc?

A Bluesound Node 2i is a dedicated streamer. It connects to the internet via wireless or hardwired. If you have great wireless in your home, it will be fine to connect via wireless. And it has a built-in DAC, so it has analog outputs that will connect to your pre-amp or integrated amp. The Node 2i supports nearly all available streaming services, like Spotify, Deezer, Qobuz, Tidal, etc. It also supports internet radio, like Radio Paradise (which is Awesome!). It can also find any music files you may have ripped anywhere on you network connected devices. It's really a jack of all trades for digital music files, steamed or ripped to a network device.

If you are interested in improving your sound quality, improved access to various music streaming services and have about $600 burning a hole in your pocket, the Node 2i is a very good way to go. As I said before. it's nearly a defacto standard in the budget dedicated digital auto streamer category. Lots of help available to you from Bluesound and the huge user community.
I have an Auris BluMe HD and a Cambridge Audio CXN Streamer both of which I have run through an external DAC. Perhaps it's my age but I can hear no difference between the Auris and the CXN. In fact when I run both directly to a preamp  streaming Tidal I can still hear no difference. For the money the Auris BluMe HD is a bargain and I suspect you would have to spend a lot of money to hear any appreciable difference and again it all demands on the quality of the recording. I haven't personally heard the Bluesound Node 2i but I have read reviews which, while positive about the Bluesound, rate the CXN as better. I suggest be happy with the Auris and listen to the music not the equipment.