Streaming

I have been a die hard analog fan for my entire audiophile life.  I know very little about digital and streaming, currently.  Do different sources of streaming material sound different?  Do different devices sound better than my current $100
Auris bluMe HD Bluetooth 5.0 ?

128x128jw944ts
Post removed 
jw, The music comes in through your internet connection. For most people that is wifi these days. You connect a streamer to your wifi modem (router) wirelessly (wifi) or wired (ethernet cable, Cat 6 or 7 whatever they’re up to today).

You then send digital out from your streamer to your DAC over a digital interconnect, or if your streamer is a streamer/DAC, send it to your preamp from the analog out jacks with ordinary analog interconnects. The Bluesound Node 2i is a streamer/DAC.

Then to control your streamer you download an app (usually free) to your phone or tablet. The Node 2i uses the BluOs app which is very easy to use and functions really well. It is all pretty simple and you can get help if you need it
SO, bare with me......the Bluesound Node 2i does NOT need to be hardwired to the router, but can get a WiFi signal on its own, and then be interconnected to my preamp?  How do you chose the SOURCE material, please?

jw944ts,

Node 2i will work on Wifi but sound better if you hard wired to your modem or router as hard wired connection eliminates any RF interferences.

You can connect Node 2i via its analog output directly into your preamp. Once Node 2i connected to your WiFi network, you need to sign up with Tidal or Qobuz service for lossless streaming.

Both services offer free trial so you can pick and choose what you like best. You will need an iPad for best experience to browse music content from Tidal or Qobuz but you can also use Android or iPhone. The Node 2i app allows you to browse music content from Tidal or Qobuz and many other streaming services. But only Tidal or Qobuz offers lossless content.

It may seem overwhelming at first but once you get Node 2i, the setup is fairly simple.