Benchmark DAC1 auditions out there? latest model

I just purchased the latest DAC1 and I think that the sound is absolutely superb for the money. I had auditioned the previous version and thought it too was superb. The newer one to my ears sounds a bit more airey in the treble. The same great bass is there, the same huge stage and delicate treble without the digital glare so common in sub 1K products is all there. I find that the Cardas Golden Reference power cord pushes the package foreward more than one might suspect a power cord can do. What auditions have others compared the DAC1 to and what were your impressons? Jallen
jallen
I also must express my surprise at some of the negative comments, even though I understand that we all hear differently and have our own expectations of what constitutes good sound.

I bought a Benchmark two years ago and auditioned 12 different DACs (from $2000 to $8000) during that time before upgrading(?) to an Audiomeca Enkianthus X. In my set-up, the Benchmark was only (slightly) surpassed by the Audiomeca. The Benchmark is, without doubt in these quarters, one of the absolute steals in audio.

I listen to mostly classical music, if that is of any significance to you.

Best regards.
If you have never heard a world-class DAC, then you will likely be enamored with the Benchmark. It's all a matter of point of reference. I have spent years perfecting DAC designs and so my standards are very high. The Benchmark does have excellent high-frequency dynamics, extension and focus. Most stock DAC's do not deliver this. In fact it is usually just the opposite. The midrange and bass is decent, but the highs are just not accurate.

I was hoping when I received the first Benchmark, that it would be DC-coupled, but alas, there is a capacitor coupler consisting of a SMT electrolytic and a SMT ceramic cap. I was able to tune-out the DC offset and eliminate this however.

Steve N.
Manufacturer
Empirical Audio
Not exactly. Are you saying that John Atkinson, John Marks, et al, have never heard a high end dac? Or that many of the posters on this forum haven't either?. On the contrary, John Atkinson specifically mentions comparisons with Mark Levinson 30.6, Theta Generation VIII, Wadia 27x, Musical Fidelity TriVista. And the Benchmark receives high marks, even in the company of such esteemed equipment. And there was never a mention of the negatives discussed above.
I'm certainly not saying this. I'm just saying that John has never heard my reference DAC's. I spoke to him about this once. I've heard many of the "esteemed equipment" that you mention. Very nice, but all of them could benefit from mods IMO (and not necessarily mine). Here's why:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue15/modsnugent.htm

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Manufacturer
Steve, I just read your article. Very well written. One thing I'm having a hard time believing though, is that the designers of high-end DACs don't know this stuff. The Benchmark is definitely designed to a price point, so I can see how it could be improved. But the Meitners, dCSes, Wadias, etc. of the world don't have that restriction on their high-end gear. Are you saying the designers of high-end DACs don't know what they're doing? If you were to market a cost-no-object DAC you designed from scratch would it benefit from mods?