REL subwoofer using only red cable not yellow per REL technical dept

Hi,

I am using a pair of REL 5/SHO subwoofers for 2 channel application and find it mates well with my pass monoblocks and harbeth 40.2 speakers.

I called REL recently because only using minimum setting( 10 clicks ) for gain and crossover and whether newer 812 faster sub would allow me use higher crossover and gain. 

REL suggested first unplug yellow wire from speaker terminal and turn up sub gain as that might improve the bass integration ..

So far sounds promising....just wanted to let others know about this possibility although YMMV....

128x128karmapolice
I had a low level hum that was driving me nuts with checking tubes and various possible sources when finally I realized my 2 RELs weren't on the same page. One had the ground lifted with a little switch, the other has no switch...I lifted the ground on the second REL and instantly all was quiet.
Ground hum will occur when connecting a single subwoofer to two monoblocks, and this hum can be extremely difficult if not impossible to eliminate. If you are only able to support a single subwoofer in your system at this time you can connect it to only one of the monoblocks, though only that channel which the subwoofer is connected to will have low-frequency extension, which can throw off the stereo imaging of your system. When using a single REL subwoofer with monoblocks it is recommended to use the Low Level input on the sub, connected to preamp outputs, which will allow the single subwoofer to receive both left and right channel information.
@jacobatrel 'Jacob at Rel', thanks for joining the discussion.

Is it 100% certain, regardless of what monoblocks are being used that the low level hum will exist, or is this a strong recommendation just in case.

I'm really not concerned about having mono vs stereo imagining. I've had mono and dual subs in my system in the past. I agree two is better than one. I don't use a preamp, so the low level input isn't possible.
It isn't a 100% certainty that hum will occur when connecting a single subwoofer high level to two monoblocks, though in our experience it is pretty common, and when it does occur it can be near-impossible to eliminate.