Surge protector vs wall debate for amps

Hi, I feel like I've sifted through endless threads from over the years and the advice still seems divided... I have a Pass Labs x250.8 and an Anthem STR Preamp. I currently have both plugged into the same Furman conditioner and have noticed a difference in sound compared to plugging it into a regenerator or directly into the wall -- which makes sense.
That said I really don't feel comfortable plugging thousands of dollars directly into the wall in the rare event of a lightning strike or any other EMI. I rent my apartment so I can't make modifications to the wiring of the unit.
So that said I want to get a surge protector exclusively for my amp that won't throttle power, sound stage, or anything. Given my amp, are there any recommendations for something like this that won't break the bank and is still quality?
Thank you!
jwh2
Brick Wall, I use their 20amp 2 outlet for large current amps and the 15amp 8 outlet for electronics.  Simple and not that expensive, 289 for the 8 outlet.
I have a Pass XP-22 pre and X-250.8 power amp and currently live in a rental house. Rewiring was not an option and the landlord did not want a whole house surge installed. I also have a bit of $$ in a TT setup so I was very concerned about both crapy electricity as well as surges. 
I confirmed with my insurance that I have protection from lightning AND power surges. The wording in the policy says.

“Increase or decrease of artificially generated electrical current to electrical appliances, devices, fixtures and wiring.” 

Once I got that confirmation IN WRITING I bought the Torus RM-15. I would have bought the RM-20 but this is a temporary living situation and I wanted to save the $1k between the two models.

I feel much better as to surges and still know I am covered if the RM-15 fails to protect. We must have some dirty power here because I have noticed a little deeper soundstage as well as more detail. I AM THRILLED.
The X250.8 is a great amp with good power. However, it is not nearly as high current as Nelson's class A amps and the Torus does not seem to be limiting any dynamics. So, I am confident that you will be fine with the RM-20. If you own your home I would suggest a dedicated 240V line and buy a balanced RM-20.

Bye the way, make sure your insurance covers replacement cost and not just replacement value. Good luck!

Bruce
Just got the new Audioquest Niagara 1200 with a couple of high current outlets for amps. Not enough time with it to be 100% sure, but I would say it was an improvement SQ wise, and a piece of mind with the protection.  
I have a whole house surge protection unit at the meter which is rented from the local utility for $6 a month. It protects everything inside the house and comes with a protection plan that will fix or replace anything damaged from any surge. I have friends that have gone thru a few oven electronics and refrigerators due to surges. My amp sounds best plugged directly into a dedicated 20amp circuit compared to a decent external surge suppressor 
+1 @p05129. That's an ideal setup.

I must add my 2 cents regarding the Brickwall. I own one and although it claims to be non-current limiting, it reduces the dynamics and soundstaging on my amps. It's great for source components.