Surge protector vs wall debate for amps

Hi, I feel like I've sifted through endless threads from over the years and the advice still seems divided... I have a Pass Labs x250.8 and an Anthem STR Preamp. I currently have both plugged into the same Furman conditioner and have noticed a difference in sound compared to plugging it into a regenerator or directly into the wall -- which makes sense.
That said I really don't feel comfortable plugging thousands of dollars directly into the wall in the rare event of a lightning strike or any other EMI. I rent my apartment so I can't make modifications to the wiring of the unit.
So that said I want to get a surge protector exclusively for my amp that won't throttle power, sound stage, or anything. Given my amp, are there any recommendations for something like this that won't break the bank and is still quality?
Thank you!
jwh2
You are right, there are a ton of posts that will advocate for either option. I say go with your ears.
One option to keep in mind - you can always add an insurance rider for electronics if you end up going directly to the wall and a surge happens. Just be prepared to prove your purchase price and the market value of the equipment if you have to make a claim.  
I don't want to risk a surge with my amp into the wall receptacle. We have a lot of blackouts here during the summer so I have my amp  plugged into a Wiremold strip (No power strip or conditioner will save your components from a direct lighting strike).
The Wiremold uses no filters or extra circuitry so it's perfect for an amp. And very well built.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00220426

Post removed