O.K., the other end of your personal experience

Most of us like to remember the good items we have had, on the other side/end, what are some of the ones you have had that were from "not so special" to (in your opinion) bad?  The risk here is naming names and people getting defensive...  In the end it is just an opinion and not an attack.  

Mine:  Monster M1 cables, nearly any/all cassette decks, simply not a high fidelity format to my ears.  Early headphones from several Japanese makers.....excellent way to get a headache. 

whatjd
Off the top of my head, my list of didn’t-cut-the-mustards (don’t ask me for dates or model names) --
Transistronics Integrated

Lyngdorf Integrated Amp

Infinity Black Widow Tonearm
Yeah, I had a crappy 8 track player ripped out of my car, damaged the center console, luckily was able to come up with a new solution covering the damage.

bought a r2r player, lots of assurances about specific questions, to avoid packaging and shipping, we went to Baltimore for birthday weekend, seller met us in Baltimore, saw it, crap, I didn't even take it out of his car, what a damnnnn liar, oh well, I got a more advanced model anyway.

When it comes to the Infinity Black Widow, it didn't take long for Paul Seydor to convince me to replace it with the Sumiko MMT for my SOTA Sapphire. There was no question regarding the improvement to the sound.   A few years later, though, an Alphason HR 100 S arm took me further, to where I still stand today.
Garrard Zero-100 turntable.  It left lathe chips of vinyl on the floor in front of it.  Still hurts 40+ years later.