Subwoofer insight.

This is new territory to me. Current speakers are 2 way with frequency response of 60Hz-20KHz with +/- 2dB.  Sensitivity rated as 86dB. Chance to purchase a pair of REL 7 tis. I feel like I am missing something but will have to buy the subs to try out. My basic question is this. Does this purchase sound wise? I know what I am willing to spend but do you think I will notice an appreciable improvement.  I know that no one can listen through my ears but this is my first time doing this. Source is 75 watt integrated tube amp, McIntosh MA-2275. Thoughts appreciated. I am leaning towards going forward with the deal but would appreciate some feedback. Room is large and open, 28X38 feet with 9 foot ceilings. Thanks for any feedback.
ricmci
I researched both REL and Rythmic.  I think either one is a good choice, but I think the high level connection designed by REL is genius.  The high level connection allows the subwoofers to play more like woofers.  The key is calibrate then to not play too loud.  If you can detect them you either have the volume turned up too high or you need to calibrate the crossovers to blend seemlessly.

I have a pair of Paradigm Prestige 85F towers.  Originally, I was going to buy a pair of REL T9i"s, but went with a pair of REL S3 SHO's.  Glad I went with the S3's.  No matter what you decide, go with a pair.  Much better sound than just one.  I would not get anything smaller than the REL t9i's.  Right now playing two bookshelf speakers is lacking an enormous amount of bass.  You could also purchase towers unless you have a space limitation.  If you are limited in space and have to settle for bookshelf's, spring for a pair of the REL S2 SHO's.  I can put you in touch with someone who can surprise you with a great price.  This was how I could afford the REL S2's.

For those in agreement with Larry about the superiority of a high level connection for a sub, know that Rythmik provides both line level connection (on RCA jacks) AND high level (on binding posts) on the company's PEQ and PEQ3 plate amps.

Rythmik drops the high level/binding post connections on it's XLR2 and XLR3 plate amps, in exchange for the XLR connections.

The choice of plate amps is an option on all the upper-tier Rythmik subs.

Everyone seems to know that REL offers high level inputs, but for some reason don't know the same about Rythmik. Why is that? It could be that REL makes that feature a bigger selling point than does Rythmik. 

Why is a subwoofer high level connection genius?
IMO, it's as hopeless as trying to mate a whale with a mackerel.

Rolling the low end in the mains and properly integrating phase and level therewith blows the doors off padding the low end unless one is very, very lucky.
Ignore everything millercarbon says.

Unless you want your system to sound really, really, crazy good.