So many drivers.....better sound or just more sound?

I am sitting in Seattle cut off from my job by the virus: the world all around me is going nutsy....so naturally my mind drifted to the question....."why so many drivers in some speakers?"  This has bugged me since i first heard the Pipedreams (twenty or so 4 inch drivers all the same in a row.... such a different design principle.  I would think you would want the best driver you could afford for a given application....cover the frequency range as accurately as you can afford and then worry about volume level, air moved etc.  For instance, i heard some McIntosh speakers at a friend's house a few months back.  they had 12 mids and 4 high drivers if i remember.  I guess maybe a bigger sound stage ?  That wan't obvious to me in my listening to them.   Am i missing something obvious?   Legacy speakers use like 11 drivers in a set of speakers.....how can they do that?  I would love to know the cost per driver of various speakers.    Not a deep subject but,  i am addled by rain, boredom and the fear that my 401 k is gone..........
Thanks
sm2727
As an owner of Tannoy dual-concentrics I have an innate prejudice against line arrays that just won't go away.

I know they can sound lovely, but it is what it is.
Check out the speakers made by Magnepan.  They incorporate a stretched length of Mylar as a "driver" for their speakers rather than a number of drivers.  Tweeters vary from ribbons to Mylar depending upon the model and when it was made.

You might notice the sound of the music is close to the sound of the music live as well.

Cheers!
SM2727 stay well, take care of yourself.  +1richopp.  Levity, "An long tall speakers, with music up to yar".  Apologies to Leo Sayer.  Buy the speakers your ears like, preferable after listening with your equipment and listening room.  Bryston has a 20 year warranty, I remember reading somewhere, here or there.
instead why not make a reasoned argument for breakup in the passband as self appointed advocate of the “reigning champion”
?Because hearing imposes no other obligation on us than to describe as accurately as possible what it is that we are hearing. We have no obligation whatsoever to explain our experience. That is for others. This is a long established and well known feature of Western Civilization sometimes in economics referred to as specialization.

Since you are so confused on this let me take a moment and make it real clear so maybe you can understand. When we take our car to the mechanic we care only that it comes back running better than ever. We do not care if the mechanic is able to explain and say well when I turn this screw it moves a jet that exposes more holes that lets more fuel in and so the venturi effect richens the mix and it runs better. Or maybe you can explain in exactly what way that sentence has anything to do with the fact that the car runs better? You can’t.

Sorry, but your whole point of view is wrong. Not just different, wrong.

Here, let me prove it to you. First off, beside the point but I am not above scoring rhetorical points, you have no personal experience of what you speak. Right? You have never listened to the speakers you slander with your slimy innuendo. Right? You are talking specifically about Tekton, without having the courage to use the name. Right? You know I’m right. We all do.

Because every single person who has heard them has said, nope. Not happening. Whatever is going on it ain’t what the theory says.

But that’s just me scoring rhetorical points. The real proof is this. Suppose you listen to something you know in your head simply cannot work. You have the proof six ways from Sunday. Then one day you go and listen and too bad, it does not sound at all the way your understanding had led you to believe.

My question is this: Who you gonna believe? Your lying brain? Or your lying ears?

This is in case you missed it what we call a reasoned argument. Just not the one you wanted. This is a reasoned argument that blows your whole reasoned argument right out of the water.

I would think too many drivers would affect bass response.  The real question to me is I purchased a pair of Paradigm towers which are 2 1/2 way.  Two weeks after I purchase them a friend sent me an article explaining way 3 way cross overs are better.  This was after he went with me over a year period to listen to over 60 pairs of speakers.  I felt dooped and he is no longer my friend.