So many drivers.....better sound or just more sound?

I am sitting in Seattle cut off from my job by the virus: the world all around me is going nutsy....so naturally my mind drifted to the question....."why so many drivers in some speakers?"  This has bugged me since i first heard the Pipedreams (twenty or so 4 inch drivers all the same in a row.... such a different design principle.  I would think you would want the best driver you could afford for a given application....cover the frequency range as accurately as you can afford and then worry about volume level, air moved etc.  For instance, i heard some McIntosh speakers at a friend's house a few months back.  they had 12 mids and 4 high drivers if i remember.  I guess maybe a bigger sound stage ?  That wan't obvious to me in my listening to them.   Am i missing something obvious?   Legacy speakers use like 11 drivers in a set of speakers.....how can they do that?  I would love to know the cost per driver of various speakers.    Not a deep subject but,  i am addled by rain, boredom and the fear that my 401 k is gone..........
Thanks
sm2727
Lots of cheap tweeters with breakup ( non pistonic motion ) in the passband is not the answer....
I use a very large speaker system (RBH SX-T2/R) that utilizes a special layout of four 6.5” woofers and three tweeters in the top cabinet, then two 10” subs in the base module. From what I understand from the designer/developer:

The specific driver alignment allows for a very broad/uniform dispersion pattern between the speakers and a more controlled dispersion pattern to the outside of the speakers. The controlled dispersion pattern reduces reflections off of room boundaries at critical frequencies. It also allows for a very spacious soundstage with improved imaging across the width of the listening area. In affect, as you move from the center listening position to the left or right, the speaker furthest from you becomes louder and the speaker closest to you becomes softer within a critical range of frequencies. In a sense, this speaker is somewhat self-correcting relative to listening position, implying that it almost counteracts the Haas Effect .

Short answer. Sounds good

Parts Express/Dayton Audio has a speaker kit (also available as a finished product) that features an arcing array of 4 inch drivers.  I wondered what the advantage of all these little drivers could be, but it might be as millercarbon noted, that spreading the signal over so many drivers reduces the degree to which any one driver has to carry the load in terms of excursion.  I haven’t heard them, as they would require more space than I have.  But they looked interesting.  In case you are interested:

https://www.parts-express.com/epique-cbt24k-line-array-speaker-kit-pair--301-984

Good luck to you in coping with these trying times.
"The current reigning champ is Eric Alexander of Tekton."

By whose standards?????