Linn Klimax DSM

Does anyone have favorable opinions of the Linn players? I’d like to hear them
keithjacksontucson
I have heard the Linn Select DSM with the upgraded DAC. I believe this DAC is now the best in the Linn lineup. I liked the DAC quite a bit and I considered the Selekt for a DSP enabled preamp. However, the Linn was not ROON READY and they are a little wishy washy about ROON. Likely because ROON does things that Linn also competes with. So once I learned that they would not be ROON READY but instead be 1 level below that, I lost all interest in the Linn (and Space Optimization DSP).

I don't think the Linn Selekt DSM DAC is a punching above it's weight. It sounds real good but so do a lot of DAC's at that price range. For example, I thought the DAC in the Lyngdorf 3400 with Room Perfect DSP was comparable.
This above is inaccurate. 
But let’s back up a minute...

The Linn system is just that: an ecosystem. You can mix and match Linn sources with Linn speakers or any other kit. But Linn plays best with Linn mostly. 
Linn comes in three basic flavors:  Majik, Akurate and Klimax. The Majik is entry level and Klimax is top of the line. The new Selekt is the new oddball with better internal flexibility but generally the sound quality is just below Akurate level.

The players come in different configurations. Some offer a one box solution for streaming, DAC and amplification. You can turn off some of these functions if you are integrating it with other kit.

The DAC technology comes in different flavors as well with the new Katalyst being the best.

If that is not all confusing enough there is the Exakt technology which is really fabulous. This allows you to go active with specific speakers. Some Linn speakers have Exakt built in with onboard amps. Then there are Exakt system hubs and Exaktboxes. You connect the two boxes with an Ethernet cable. This is what I have upgraded to: an Akurate System hub that connects to a four way Exaktbox with eight separate Katalyst DACs and eight amps. This feeds my Linn floor standers. The sound is sublime. 

If you play records then the mighty Linn LP12 will fit into all this superbly. 
There are a lot of ways of getting good sound. The Linn way is just one of them. I have a second system with Pass Labs and Bryston that I am struggling with. 
But this is the wrong place to learn more about Linn. You should join the Linn club over at Hifi Wigwam...
The DAC technology comes in different flavors as well with the new Katalyst being the best.
This is all I am saying. @photomax what is inaccurate about my post.

Actually I got a lot of my info on the other Linn units from HiF Wigwam for which I am a member. My understanding from the conversations and other posts I read there indicate that the Selekt DSM with the Katalyst upgrade on the DAC is the best Linn DAC (this was in 2019). I am only talking about the DAC and NOT the Linn ecosystem. The top of the line Linn components with DAC are supposed to be upgraded in the future to the Katalyst level. I am not a Linn expert so what do I know.

I did my demo with an all Linn system with the 8 Exaktbox into Linn speakers (Shelley's Stereo in S. Cal). If I remember correctly, they had the streaming Selekt DAC hooked up to this system. I think the Selekt was doing both streaming and DAC duties in the demo. There were a ton of gear and cables so it was rather difficult to quickly take all the gear into the brain.

The all Linn system was OK, not my cup of tea. I would not have bought the all Linn system but I liked the Linn Selekt DSM with Klimax upgrade. I also heard the Linn Selekt DSM with the Yamaha NS5000 speakers.

The same day I also demoed the Paradigm Persona 5F with excellent SimAudio gear in another demo room and liked it more than the super expensive Linn system. I plan on buying the Yamaha NS5000 speaker that I also demoed at Shelley's in their worst demo room.