Cartridge suggestions

Hi. Helping a friend find a new cartridge for his Pro-ject TT. He has a 2Experience with 9" EVO carbon arm. Listens to mostly jazz/acoustic music. Phono stage is an EAR834P clone. Speakers are Spendor BC1's. Ideally a neutral and articulate cartridge as if anything too laid back might end up making the whole system a bit too mushy. As the phono stage only has MM capabilities, LO MC cartridge isn't an option. So, HO MC, or MM/MI options please. Looking to keep this under 500 and used isn't really an option. Thanks!
perkri
Any thoughts on Nagaoka cartridges? Had an MP110 once which I rather enjoyed...

Here we go again, the Nagaoka MP110 has BONDED elliptical stylus, best cartridges must have NUDE stylus and better profiles (LineContact type at least). If you enjoyed entry level cartridges i can only imagine how a decent vintage MM can blew your mind away with extended frequency range, sound stage and resolution you will get from a better cartridges. 

The Nagaoka MP-500 is an excellent cartridge, but over your budget.  I'd give a listen to the Clearaudio Concept MM.  $250.
cleeds2,765 posts03-07-2020 12:07pm
"It sounds like you’re playing dirty records
I wouldn’t use a phono cartridge that relied on a brush.
 but if I did, I’d measure its effect with a proper VTF scale."

How do you clean your LP's? How do you clean your Stylus?

Look into a sunbeam, as many dust particles as there are stars. Perfectly clean new or used LP, dust lands during play.

BENEFITS, not relies on the brush. The advance team, like a curling broom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curling#Curling_broom

It can be left up as I mentioned.

Guesswork with Jico Brush? I get it right, however Shure gives guidance/specifics, based on their expertise, Jico does not.

I do measure TF with a digital scale, with brush up and brush down, however, during play, what dynamics involved?

I set TF and anti-skate with test records, lp with no grooves, ear, specific 3 channel sources, I get it right.

I've been using Shure cartridges with brushes since 1970, and was darn happy to find that Jico makes replacement stylus with their version of a brush.

The Stanton Chackster mentioned, and other Stantons, Pickerings, .... have brushes, can be down in use, or up as desired.
The Hana EH would be an excellent candidate. It is about $475 and is the high output version of the Hana EL. It is a high output moving coil. I have the Hana EL and in my opinion it is the best 500 dollar or under cartridge available.

A second choice would be the Sumiko Blue Point No 2. It is @ $440. It too is a high output moving coil cartridge and is a close second to the above Hana. 

Lastly, for a moving magnet choice at only $299, is the Sumiko Moonstone cartridge, as reviewed by Analog Planet's Michael Fremer. Probably one the best under 500 moving magnets available. 

If you want to go cheap, I have to suggest the Ortofon super OM 10. It is simply a wonderful moving magnet cartridge for the money and is easily upgradeable to the OM 20, 30, 40....by swapping out the stylus....super OM 10 can be had for a measly 75 bucks on Ebay.