Remove rack or console from between your speakers

Several people have suggested removing components from between the  speakers to add a reflecting surface. If I did this my speaker cables would be as long as 18feet.  Would this degrade the signal much?
audiomaze
I am running 20 ft balanced and have my rack on the other end of the room from my speakers.However if your running 18 feet you should run balanced as this is much better for long runs.
Post removed 
mikelavigne and millercarbon:  I just looked at photos of both of your listening rooms and equipment and they blew me away!  Here I was agonizing over which small subs to buy, and your equipment and rooms look like you are preparing for a space launch!  I will never have anything like that and can only imagine what your systems are capable of.  Thanks for the photos that gave me a window on that world.  I salute you sirs!

mikelavigne
1,410 posts
03-06-2020 7:01pm
there is no one right answer. and it is somewhat related to the seriousness of your system and asset allocation.

if you have optimized everything else first to a reasonable degree, then having long interconnects and removing your rack from between your speakers might be the next step.

however;
--it might depend on what is on the wall behind the speakers. it could be that your rack is acting like a diffuser and helping if you have a flat bare wall or a big window. those things will not be improved by moving your rack.
--and how much a long interconnect or long speaker cables might cost. you might improve another part of your system with the same budget as the longer cables and get a better net performance gain.

the moral of the story is that other things need to be at a point where this change will help, or it's not worth it.

I concur with Mike.  Plus, my experiences suggest that n the priority of issues to be concerned, this is probably at the bottom of that list...  
Mr. Miller,

Nice system setup.  Puts my wobbly (like the owner) wooden rack to great shame.

I like the insulators supporting the cabling.  Never thought of that considering I have several hundred.

Victor, Locke or Lapp, by chance?  Can’t see any markings.

daniel