Phono stage for 0.2mv cartridge?

I am looking for a quality phono stage with at least 72db of gain.  During this last year I obtained a Canary MC10 which sounds beautiful but I am somewhat volume limited and listen at such high volume control settings that tube rush has become an issue.  At 69.5db of gain I hoped that the Canary would work out but...
  Most of the popular stages like the Herron and the Manlely Steelhead seem to run in the 66-70db gain range.  Reviewers seem to routinely report on these phono stages using cartridges with low outputs but that runs contrary to my experience so far.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Bill
wbs
Bill
Thanks for the additional information.
However something really does not add up somewhere.
No way with a 0.2mv output and 69.5 db of gain should you be anywhere near maxing out your preamp gain!

Now maybe it’s further down the chain as even with a digital source you are near the top of your preamp gain.
Possibly undersized power amp with inefficient speakers?
Just generally working hard with your Watts for a living?

So power amp and speakers?
If you posted your full system, it'd be easier to know what's going on.  Agree with @uberwaltz that there ought to be plenty of gain.  Is your old C100 working properly?  Have you tried another phono stage besides the Canary?  You're running a weakling amp, maybe?  Or your speakers are are tough to drive?  Hard to diagnose without more info.
@wbs

As I explain later in this post, in addition to providing the info suggested by the others it may very well be useful if you could describe how much difference there is between the volume control settings you would use for a given cartridge with the C100’s built-in phono stage vs. the Canary’s phono stage. I’m starting to suspect that the Canary may be providing significantly less gain than the 69.5 db spec, for whatever reason.

The gain of the phono section of the C100, fyi, is about 73 db for LOMCs according to my calculations (excluding the gain of the line stage).

It appears that inadequate gain in the C100’s line stage can probably be ruled out as a cause of what you have described. The line stage of the C100 is specified as producing an output of 2.5 volts in response to an input of 450 mv. That corresponds to a gain of about 14.9 db, which is very consistent with your mention of a +15 db max setting of the volume control, and which is significantly above average as line stages go these days.

And if a weak tube or other defect were somehow causing reduced gain in the line stage, it would not account for the more reasonable results you are getting with a 0.3 mv cartridge compared to your 0.2 mv cartridges. 0.2 mv is only about 3.5 db less than 0.3 mv.

What **might** be adding 3 db to that difference, though, are differences in how cartridge output specs are defined. See my post dated 7-4-2012 in this thread.

But regarding the gain provided by the Canary phono stage, 69.5 db would boost the rated output of a 0.3 mv cartridge to about 896 mv, and it would boost the rated output of a 0.2 mv cartridge to about 597 mv. And as I understand it brief dynamic peaks of some recordings, especially those having particularly wide dynamic range, can on occasion cause a cartridge to put out several times the rated output. The upshot being that those numbers seem to me to be several db higher than I would expect would result in the 15 db difference in volume control setting you’ve described for the 0.3 mv cartridge compared to digital sources, as well as the difference of 20 to 25 db with the 0.2 mv cartridges compared to digital sources, if you are using unbalanced interconnections in both cases and if the Canary is truly providing 69.5 db.

More annoying typically with symphonic music.

Not surprising, of course. As you certainly realize the wide dynamic range of many symphonic recordings will often result in the volume control being set higher than for most other kinds of recordings, and the soft passages of symphonic recordings will be more revealing of hiss.

Those are my thoughts at this point. Not sure what else to suggest beyond what I and others have already said.

Good luck. Regards,
-- Al

Al
Great post.
However do you not think also that in general the OP is having to run a lot higher line stage gain even on a digital source than one would expect?
This indicates to myself a potential downstream problem that might be compounding the phono issue.

For instance if I tried to run -10db on my BAT ( which has a range -68 to +22) from my DAC, I would fear for the health of my ear drums and windows!
Hi Uberwaltz,

It’s hard to tell at this point. The additional info you and Goheelz requested will help shed light on that, of course, and your point is certainly a possibility. But given the mention of 90 to 95 db levels and symphonic recordings that presumably have wide dynamic range (probably vastly wider than the dynamic range of most pop and rock recordings), it seems to me that everything downstream could be hunky-dory.

Best regards,
-- Al