Finally bought a new Turntable!

Hello All,
Well I done did it now, I bought myself a new Turntable.
After much research and talking back and forth on forums, looking at various models, I finally decided on a Mofi Studiodeck with the Hana SL MC Cartridge.
I bought it from a local Hi-Fi shop that gave me a 10% discount on the table and a 15% discount on the cart.
I have only had about a week so far and have not had a chance to play a much music yet. Just a few tracks here and there.
This does bring me to a question that I have for the community.

After initially playing a few tracks, I felt I had to turn up the volume a bit more compared to b4 when playing the same tracks on my Denon DP-300f, which seemed to have a bigger impact at lower volumes.

I had the shop configure my Phono Pre-Amp (Sim Audio 110lp V2) and the gain was set to 60db.

I set it to 66db and RIAA Curve. I think that improved the sound a bit more.
But what I want to know, for the particular cart that I have on the table, what are the other recommended settings?
I know the manufacturer have their suggested settings and ultimately, I probably have to try different settings and play a lot of music until I feel I have found the sweet spot but wanted to ask you all if you have any suggestions or opinions.
One other very specific question that I have is, Does making changes to the phono pre-amp have any negative effects on the system? Meaning, could I potentially do any harm to the system?
I appreciate any feedback.
128x128jay73
I have never associated cartridge settings in the way I read above. I've experienced a cartridge set at certain load settings and had inferior results but that did not affect volume output.
I don’t know who said that the load resistance will affect the gain, except as I noted where the load resistance is nearly equal to, equal to, or less than the internal resistance of the cartridge. When the load resistance equals the internal resistance of the cartridge, there will be a loss of 50% of the signal voltage to ground. In most cases, that is not done. At typical settings of the input resistance, we all agree there is no affect on gain.

hdm, I quite agree with you, even 60db of gain is probably adequate for the Hana. Especially if the line stage section of the integrated amp adds still more gain.
Jay, by definition we assume that an “integrated amplifier” has on one chassis both a line stage and an amplifier. A line stage takes signal from several sources, eg, a phono stage, CD player, tuner, TV, etc, and allows you to select among them for feeding the amplifier section. Sometimes the line stage section adds gain to any signal passing through it. Sometimes not. You might want to check the specs on yours to find out. But listening is the best criterion to go by.
Thanks for the clarification on line stage, I was a little confused on that before.
Well so far so good, I have left my settings on what I mentioned earlier ( 0pf, 475ohm, 66db and RIAA Curve).
Music sounds better then when I started.
But...
I have to be honest and mention this and I realize the equipment has not fully broken in yet. When I upgraded my from Denon dp-300 with Ortofon 2M Blue to this new TT/Cart combo, I guess I was expecting a bit of a revelation but as good as it sounds, I don't feel it is leaps and bounds over my existing TT.
I realize it is also due to the overall system as a whole that makes a difference and my system is not really high end and therefore not extremely resolving.
I've listed my equipment in other posts but here it is again:
- Vincent SV-500 Integrated Amp- Simaudio 110 LP V2 Phono Preamp- Martin Logan Motion 40 Speakers
That's probably all that matters with LP playback.
Just basic interconnects at the moment.
Perhaps with my system, no matter what TT I get, they will all sound similar.
This does make me want to keep my Denon around, maybe I will use it for a 2nd system.
Just basic interconnects at the moment.
Perhaps with my system, no matter what TT I get, they will all sound similar.

With "just basic interconnects" then yes, they will all sound similar. Please don't tell me "just basic interconnects" is your term for the freebie patch cords manufacturers still throw in the box along with their equally worthless rubber power cords? That's not a question. If that's what it is I really don't want to know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcAYMb5uk4