Isolation Cones vs Cheap Cables

I'm posting this here for I didn't want to hijack a recent thread on cables and the title is a little misleading.

It was suggested to a member that BDR cones offer a lot of bang for the buck compared to cheap power cords when it comes to "making an impact on sound".

I'll buy into that concept!

I was looking reading about BDR cones and it seems like a lot of folks place three of them under a speaker instead of four.  I'm going to purchase some and have to ask the question:  Why three cones and not four?  My floor standing speakers are about 48" tall and the base is only about 10" wide.  I gotta think that using three cones with my speakers would make them top heavy.  Yes?
malatu
@malatu - I agree with others- about using 4 cones, but as stated you may need to "shim" one of them

However, should you want to try 3 cones there are a couple of approaches you can use but it depends on the weight distribution of your speakers.

"Generally" if the majority of the weight is at the front of the enclosure
- the single cone would be at the rear of the enclosure
- the two cones would be at the front, spaced as wide as you can get them

However, placing the two cones along one side of the speaker and the third cone in the center on the opposite side may provide sufficient stability.

If oyu would like to try the 3 cone method above I would recommend low profile cones and the surface on which the speaker stands should be hard.

I have three cones on my components and their position is very much dependent on where the bulk of the weight lies. Each component sits on a granite plinth

Something to try perhaps? :-)

Regards - Steve

Too bad but even with four cones many speakers are just too tall and top-heavy to be safe. A Maple board with dimensions around 2x2 feet under the speaker, then the cones under the board, should be more stable. Nevertheless......
Anyway, can anyone offer some real world experiences of the two versions, the MK3 versus MK4 under different components? I have a tube integrated amp and phono stage ad VPI Classic Signature turntable. I’m not really worried about my DAC or CD player. I use them for convenience. My real listening sessions are on vinyl.

Good man. Vinyl rules!

The difference between Mk3 and 4 is small enough either one is better than anything else, but big enough to notice and prefer one over the other, if that makes any sense. Mine are almost entirely Mk4 which makes sense given its a tube amp and turntable system. Mk3 is a bit warmer which since you like tubes and vinyl you might think that is the way to go. But what I found, having compared them both, the sound is more open and extended top to bottom with the fours. I even prefer Mk4 under my CD player and SS sub amps.

There’s BDR Cones under every single thing in my system, including the crossovers and step-down transformer, as you can see in my system pics. Nothing else in my vibration control experience can match BDR in the ability to lower the noise floor and allow you to hear deep into the recording with incredible smooth yet detailed macro and micro-dynamics. Because they are so well balanced you can use more and more like I do and never wind up going too far any one direction.

Look at my system, you will see the progression. 1) start with Cones under everything (this would be my sub amps, crossovers, etc), 2) Add Round Things either under or on top of the Cones (this would be my speakers), 3) add Round Things so its RT, Cone, RT (Verus motor controller), 4) Shelf.

There are exceptions always but its generally better to put Cones under everything before moving on to adding Round Things, and its better to do all with Cones and Round Things rather than decking one thing out with Shelf, Cones, etc. The Miller Carbon turntable is so freaking awesome because .... well just look at it! One Source Shelf has 8X the damping of 8" of granite, and there’s three Source Shelfs worth in the Miller Carbon! The detail I get is insane- because its genuine, natural detail not the hyped up fine grain etch that so often substitutes for detail.

millercarbon would throw all his BDR cones in the trash if he ever heard DH Cones which are about ten times harder than carbon fiber and five times better. Millercarbon is an excellent example of what happens when you get carried away with something. Before you know it you’ve got them under everything. I implore you, gentle readers, wouldn’t it be a lot more logical to explore all available cones before committing to one brand or type? 😬 I won’t even mention isolation. 😀