Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
65-68, probably my favorite band of all time.

Going back to Coltrane (one can never have too much Trane), I listened to this today. When the “RECORD” light goes on, sometimes the stars align more than others. Inspired playing:

https://youtu.be/tr72UkaBdtk

I think it was Rok that asked recently “why McCoy?”. McCoy is a genius and probably the only piano player who could play with the power to match Coltrane’s at that point.  He wrote the tune in the above clip. Check out his playing on this; amazing:

https://youtu.be/By88wMU1pIQ

Btw, a propos a recent discussion about RVG, I think these two clips make a good argument for the sonic merits of recordings other than RVG’s. Not as “beautiful” a sound as some of the RVG’s, but I find this type of sound truer to the sound of instruments in a studio environment. There is a certain honesty about it.

Miles on PBS:

I gave it an overall grade of D+.  A few interesting bits of history, but the entire production could have been much much more.    A big disappointment.   I didn't feel good or elated after watching it.

Cheers
prysoWas that Herbie Mann album where he played bass clarinet called sultry Serenade? I have that album on a four album 2 Disc cd set  where he plays some bass clarinet.. I think there's another person on that  album who plays bass clarinet.
 if there if there is another disc where he played bass clarinet I'd like to buy it if it's available. Let me know.

I missed the I missed the first 20 minutes of miles PBS special last night but saw the rest.Although I don't care for his recorded output after 1980 I have to say that I saw his band the year before he died and the performance he put on was terrific and he was in fine shape. The lighting, found, song selection, pacing, and overall performance were top-notch.  quite honestly nothing really too new in this documentary that I didn't already know. This special showed all sides of miles, warts and all. I could understand if some people would be turned off. He
beat his wife / girlfriends and was a drug abuser for a large part of his life.
  but for me it's the musical Legacy that he left behind that counts.  is he the greatest Jazz Trumpeter? I don't think so. But I came away with a better understanding or his ability to convey emotion in his music.And this to me is the most important thing an artist can do.

nsp, you caused me to do a little research and I'm glad I did.  That album was "great ideas of Western mann" and he played bass clarinet on all numbers.  Now I'm really bummed it disappeared from my collection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47RnXpVEvFw