Cable burn-in questions.

While burning in an interconnect cable, say the analogue output from a dac into a preamp, is it necessary for the preamp to be turned on? (I understand the answer would be “yes” if that input has not been used - to “break in” those circuits in the preamp.  But this question is focused on the cable.) Is current flowing through a cable when the preamp isn’t on?  Any reason why the amp connected to the preamp output must be on?  Does the volume on the preamp matter when a cable being burned in is connected to an input? 

I assume speaker cables would need current and voltage passing through, to be burned in.  Does the volume setting matter?

explanations for answers will be appreciated.
128x128lloydc

true. a signal needs to be passed for the dialectric and conductors to enjoy 'run in' meaning as was said, a complete circuit must occur. sorry. this is why its nice to have auxilliary gear for ICs and Spkr cables. adapters can be used to chain up power cords so several cords can be run in easier.

actually with female RCA connectors so can  single ended ICs.
enjoy.
Volume from the pre does not matter but I don’t think the circuit is completed if the preamp/ amp is turned off (depends on how it is wired). If you are handy it is easy to make a dummy load with a spare RCA plug from your junk bin and a couple resistors.
https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/breaking-in-cables-and-components/

The bigger question is if you can really burn in an interconnect with a DAC. Any idea of the output voltage? If it is a lot lower than a CD line level output it will take forever. It not enough power to do anything.

Yes the preamp needs to be on.The volume can remain off.It's a tedious process.I just went through this recently - 10 hrs a day and only turned the amp on the last hour to hear the changes wrought.This particular cable sounded horrendous the first 150 hours.
Do you know anyone with a cable burner (Audiodharma Cable Cooker) would be a lot faster breakin time.