Badly recorded albums needing upgrading

My new music system is in place, fairly well burnt in, and speaker placement and other tweaks are coming along. In the process I’ve been learning how much variation there is in the quality of both CD and vinyl recordings. This range in quality was not apparent on my old equipment.

For example, as I go through my old records, I’ve noticed a couple of favorites that are terribly recorded. A well known sub-par recording, Eric Clapton’s (Derek and the Dominoes) "Layla and Other Love Songs" is virtually not listenable. The Stones "Let It Bleed" I’ve had to replace with a Japaneses SACD as Jagger’s vocals sounded like he recorded them with a garbage can over his head. That SACD does sound considerably better, although the vocals on "Gimme Shelter still sound muffled. After some research on site and elsewhere, I just ordered another Japanese SACD of Layla out of the myriad available, which the reviewers said made Layla at least listenable.

Here’ the obvious problem. Both replacements were expensive as CD’a and records go, and I only want to spend that kind or resources on absolute favorite records. I am filling in the rock and roll and R&B portion of my record and CD collection of artists ranging from the Beatles up through the Sex Pistols. Are there any other well known albums like "Let It Bleed" or "Layla" I should avoid, or might already have, that will need to be purchased or bought again in upgraded formats. I’m not asking about obscure groups, but instead more well known artists like the Dead, Hendrix, Aretha Franklin, anything Motown, Janis Joplin, Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Bowie, Roxy Music, The Clash, Talking Heads, etc.

I’ve also been purchasing a lot of vintage jazz, from Ellington through the Weather Report and would like to avoid bad recordings there too. In the jazz realm I’ve been acquiring economical Redbook CD sets like Bill Evans’ 12 Classic Albums, and most recently Wayne Shorter’s entire Blue Note recordings made with RVG (Rudy Van Gelder ) remasters. What I’ve learned so far I to do when purchasing these sets it to avoid those that are made of re-recorded MP3 files. Those sets don’t advertise they are MP3 file based, so I dig around reviews by purchasers who after after getting bilked, expose these recordings labels on Amazon,com Music . If you’ve any of these classic jazz sets or albums or reissue labels I should be avoiding, please let me know.

For example, I’m currently looking to purchase economical multiple album sets of Billie Holiday’s Commodore, Verve, and Decca recordings and would like to know which sets to avoid or conversely which sets are well done.. I like among others Miles Davis, Coltrane, Lester Young, Mingus, Charlie Parker, John McLaughlin, Art Blakely, Chet Baker, Ella Fitgerald, Gerry Mulligan and the like. Again, not obscure recordings or artists. I’d really like to not get burned on substandard recordings too. Si Iif you could forewarn of any particular recordings, or any reissue labels to avoid, please do. Next year I might start to get more Classical Music recordings, but that’s another ball of wax for another day

Maybe this question is too broad or poorly defined but I’d appreciate any help you could provide to avoid disappointment or throw any more cash in the garbage. Thanks, and I’d be pleased to answer any questions to clarify this rambling post.

Mike
skyscraper
Tomcy6, actually that is very interesting and I’ll do just that. I enjoy reading about things like that by people who know what they’re talking about. Over the past year or two I’ve stumbled across some sites and Youtube videos where people like Michael Fremer and others have talked about different pressings, reissues and the like. I filed away some of that information, and now see what they were talking about and can put some of that information to use.

I went out and bought three of Fremer’s recommendations on the hundred best recorded album reissues recently, "Duke Ellington Masterpieces", the "Columbia Sound of Jazz" reissue and some Art Blakey CD’s. All of them were well worth every penny. I don’t like to get nutty about it, and bought a cheaper boxed set of Art Blakey than the one recommended, but the recordings were all terrific. So it’s really fun and useful to read up on things like that from those in the know, even if you don’t go crazy with it. Appreciate your feedback,

Mike
@jafant yup, grew up with he birth of thrash, still love all of it,
maybe a thicker sound of so,e of those older records might not be good?
 I love the early stuff, sodom. Dark Angel, nuclear assault, and the other 1000’s thrash bands from 83-90. 

\,,/

Dark Angel, darkness descends is one of my top albums ever released, it’s just amazing, as is hell awaits, first 3 Bathory albums,
heck, I can list 3000 bands.

I’m a diehard metalhead!
i bleed metal
I totally sympathize with the OP.  Yes, listening to some of my LPs I bought way back in High School and beyond just don't sound very good.  So many variables in these pressings.  Was the master used? What pressing Plant?  reissue based on what source material? And So on.

Anymore, I focus on the reissue itself and what it brings to the release. So much of it is what company is doing the repressing, were the master analog tapes used for the pressing, and what vinyl is being used at what speed.  Just takes a little reading to figure out if it was done right.  I tend to purchase some reissues simply for the sound quality. Like the QRPs release of the Dusty Springfield's Dusty in Memphis. Or Hugh Masakela's Hope. Or Shelby Lynne and Diana Krall.  These pressing are excellent and make quality HiFi systems shine.

I just over indulged on the QPRs reissue on 6LPs of the Bach solo Cello Concertos.  Now I enjoy classical, but not excessively.  I read about it and I know these LPs are going to sound superb and put me in the front row of symphony hall when I listen to it.  It will provide immense pleasure.

More or less, I have decided to stop purchasing used vinyl unless it is something really rare and special.  I just don't enjoy the sub par sound that many used LPs bring to my speakers.
Pgaulked, it sounds like you are on the right track and some research is required prior to making any album or CD purchases anymore. Years ago you simply bought what was in the racks at the record store. With Layla alone there are an incredible number of reissues to wade through. I’d rather not have to deal with that, but there it is and it can’t be ignored. Maybe geoffkait’s recommended DSD reissue of "Let It Bleed" would have provided a better Jagger vocal track on Gimme Shelter.

Funny you mentioned getting some Bach. I don’t have a ton of Classical recordings, maybe a dozen or so, but am developing an interest. I’ve
been similarly thinking recently that Bach may a good place to start. I remember enjoying some of his works from a course taken in college back in the seventies. Let us know how the QPR reissues turn out and if they’re good as you anticipated I’ll give one a try too.

I’m off the used vinyl too. It’s too expensive, judging from a used record show recently attended, and too often used records look in good condition, but are not. I’ve thought about building an ultrasonic record cleaner to see if that’s the issue, but right now am going with CD’s and trying some pricier SACDs for occasional splurges. Thanks for your interesting reply.

Mike
Avoid most all records from late 70’s and into 80’s and 90’s. Unfortunately the quality started going down significantly, especially 80 and 90’s etc...as cd’s were the main focus. Plus they began making the records much thinner and started using the scrap vinyl remnants and recycled them into the new pressings. The quality or SQ went down from there. Most of the records pressed today $uck as well....unless you grab a decent mofi or something from maybe acoustic sounds or the like. Buy used, quality, well taken care of records from the 50, 60 and early 70’s, preferably 1st pressings, and you will find that the quality of sound is much better, and the engineers actually knew what they were doing and enjoyed doing it! Today, most records are engineered and pressed with little care...